• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you use a UPS on your printer? If so, which one?

jeff412

I have an SP-540V. I left a long print job running when I had to run out. I normally babysit my machine, but I needed to get this job done. Evidently the lights blinked about 6" into the job. When I got back about 4 hours later, the print head was stopped in the middle of the job. Fortunately, there was no obvious damage. This made me think that I need a UPS to ride out these short blinks. I have a generator on my shop, so I only need a few minutes of run time. Do you guys use a UPS on your printers? If so, which one?

Jeff

rjssigns

We have a SP540V also. You will need a beast of a UPS since the draw when printing is around 10 amps. It will require a commercial unit to meet the draw for even a few minutes. I wanted one, but when I saw the price the want stopped.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
A Liebert (Emerson) GXT2-6000 is dedicated to the printer, rip pc, and cutter. Then we have a second one that is dedicated to the 2 servers, san, and network stuff (switch, router, and firewall). These are 240v models so they do need dedicated circuits.

The key is finding one used in good condition and within reasonable driving distance. Check your local state surplus property office for public sales, craigslist, even ebay using the distance nearest option.

Used they go for a tiny fraction of their new costs since they are very cumbersome heavy. I got the 2 we have for about $650 for both of them and they were only 2 years old with good batteries, new they are near 3 grand each.... Another key will be batteries which can be pricey to replace. I have had ours for a few years, about 6 months ago I replaced the batteries in both which cost me about $300 each to do. The one will run our JV33 while it's printing for about 30 minutes!

fresh

Our APC 1500 does not work for the printer. We tried it, and it was a no go. It does work for the graphtec though!