• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do your heads look like this?

supu249

We have VP540i. First picture is after manual cleaning. The second picture is after the printer does its own cleaning. Seems like a mess around the heads? This is only after the machine does its cleaning. Havent printed anything.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150921_100127.jpg
    20150921_100127.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 20150921_101508.jpg
    20150921_101508.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 112

CS-SignSupply

Based on the color of the yellow ink, I would suspect this is not OEM Roland Ink (assuming the picture quality and monitor is relatively accurate).

Not all but a good portion of the aftermarket inks will overspray much more than the OEM inks.

I would recommend cleaning or replacing the captops, run the cap height adjustment, clean/replace the serge sponge and be sure to check/replace the wipers.

This looks to be inaccurate cap height / overspray and/or malfunctioning cap assembly. (maybe the caps are not raising evenly or capping properly)

supu249

Thank you for the quick reply's. A year or so ago we did use some non oem ink, but quickly changed back after a cartridge or two of the non oem. Roland ink only since. The wipers were replaced last month and cleaned last week. The pic may not show it well, but the edge of the black on the cap tops looked a bit beat up. Not very smooth. Not sure what the serge sponge is. Ill look into it.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150921_115622.jpg
    20150921_115622.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 20150921_101119.jpg
    20150921_101119.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 115

CS-SignSupply

Very sorry as I read the part about this being a VP but obviously that fact did not embed very well as the VP and VPi does not have a serge sponge.

It's tough to tell but it looks like the caps have a little bit of crusty ink on all colors on the black rubber edges.

When were these last replaced?

supu249

That I dont know. I know that it has been over a year, because that's when I started getting more into the sign side of the business. The cap tops are consumable parts just as the wipers and blades yes?

Ragnabrok

during the regular cleaning cycle, the heads build up a meniscus of ink for the wipers to take off (along with anything that shouldn't be there, if it is all working). The wipers pull from the back to the front of the head, removing the blob of ink in that sweep. most of the ink is pulled off, some smears off the sides and to the front of the print head, hence why it is dirtier around the print head after a cleaning compared to before.

As mentioned before, wipers play an integral part in this, but so does the wiper scraper. the wipers clean themselves off on this, and if it is loaded with ink, or missing (they break sometimes, or get stuck) it makes this issue worse.

The scraper itself is a piece of plastic behind a metal plate where the wipers sit when not in use, kind of shaped like a bowtie. if it is not broken, it can be cleaned a tediously put back where it came from.