• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does Ai not embed profile when saves as EPS?

altereddezignz

So working with onyx of course and tried to do some work with an eps file.
Well no profile is embedded so the colors change. Have i been missing this all along and well eps files do no embed icc color profiles??

I can save a eps then reopen it and it always tell me that no profile is associated. Do i want to apply a profile or no?

Attached an image.

As you know Onyx cannot open AI files.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_42 Jan. 10 17.22.png
    ScreenHunter_42 Jan. 10 17.22.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 266

altereddezignz

I was having color issues so i didnt start getting this message until i talked to a color rep and he had me turn on the notifications for files when opening or pasting to tell me the profile or if it didn't have one so i could try and nail my issue down.

EPS files are a legacy file format and as such, do not support the use of working space profiles.

PDF files support the use of working spaces, but not all PDF files make use of this.

altereddezignz

EPS files are a legacy file format and as such, do not support the use of working space profiles.

PDF files are able to embed working space profiles.

Yeah the only way i can seem to get clear text and some other things is to save PS file as PDF and open in AI. Then save from Ai as PDF after making mu contour cut lines.

Just really throws me off bc most places will send you a EPS file but if there is no embedded profile how do you know that the color is correct if it was based off spot colors and so on?

I guess it keeps the spot colors but nothing else.

Guess it would suck if you assigned it a cmyk profile when it was designed in RGB or vise versa lol..

To bad onyx doesnt accept AI

Andy_warp

If it's one thing I hate...it's eps files. They are bloated and stupid. :)

The only thing I dislike more is .ps (postscript) files
There used to be a thing called Pagemaker (before indesign)
The only way to get a pdf was to export to .ps file and "distill" with acrobat distiller.
It was very finicky and bred my contempt for "postscript" files.

Truth be told I still prefer Pagemaker to InDesign.
It was for page layout only...as all page layout software SHOULD be.

Don't get me started on the Adobe Type Manager from the same era.
It was the only way to manage postcript fonts. (different than truetype and opentype)
(We also used to HAVE to have Macs and PCs because the fonts weren't compatible)
Font's really used to be QUITE the issue!

Onyx does REALLY well with pdf files.
When saved out of Illustrator, they are native and lovely.
You get stuck with the 200" ceiling...but if working at scales no biggie.
Just watch out for for vector object raster effects.
If you are working at 10% scale...the best resolution you'll get is 30 dpi. (raster effects settings top out at 300dpi)

Part of your color shift may be from the jumping around from software to software and format to format and profile to profile.
If you complete all of the "non sharp" type work in photoshop, and do all of the "clear text" type work in Illustrator after placing your raster image, it's only translating color once.

altereddezignz

If it's one thing I hate...it's eps files. They are bloated and stupid. :)

The only thing I dislike more is .ps (postscript) files
There used to be a thing called Pagemaker (before indesign)
The only way to get a pdf was to export to .ps file and "distill" with acrobat distiller.
It was very finicky and bred my contempt for "postscript" files.

Truth be told I still prefer Pagemaker to InDesign.
It was for page layout only...as all page layout software SHOULD be.

Don't get me started on the Adobe Type Manager from the same era.
It was the only way to manage postcript fonts. (different than truetype and opentype)
(We also used to HAVE to have Macs and PCs because the fonts weren't compatible)
Font's really used to be QUITE the issue!

Onyx does REALLY well with pdf files.
When saved out of Illustrator, they are native and lovely.
You get stuck with the 200" ceiling...but if working at scales no biggie.
Just watch out for for vector object raster effects.
If you are working at 10% scale...the best resolution you'll get is 30 dpi. (raster effects settings top out at 300dpi)

Part of your color shift may be from the jumping around from software to software and format to format and profile to profile.
If you complete all of the "non sharp" type work in photoshop, and do all of the "clear text" type work in Illustrator after placing your raster image, it's only translating color once.

You can change the raster effect setting to anything you like once you create the file at 300 dpi.
Its under Effect then Document Raster Effect Settings.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_55 Feb. 08 11.03.png
    ScreenHunter_55 Feb. 08 11.03.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 227

Andy_warp

You can change the raster effect setting to anything you like once you create the file at 300 dpi.
Its under Effect then Document Raster Effect Settings.
Nice!

That could really let you build an Illustrator bomb!
A 200" file with that set too high my bring my rip to a screeching halt!

Thanks AlteredDezignz!

altereddezignz

Nice!

That could really let you build an Illustrator bomb!
A 200" file with that set too high my bring my rip to a screeching halt!

Thanks AlteredDezignz!

We have done a bunch of 10th scale 1500 dpi to have a final dpi of 150 and it is ok a little slow but not to bad.

Andy_warp

We have done a bunch of 10th scale 1500 dpi to have a final dpi of 150 and it is ok a little slow but not to bad.
I think we have come across problems with this by hitting a resolution/file size ceiling in the pdf.

I wanna say it's 2 gig...which depending on the overall length you can hit fast.

We printed the walls for the Zelda booth at E3 last year. (3) 200plus FEET walls by 30 FEET tall...both sides.
It was SO huge. Resolution gets pretty tricky at extreme sizes!

Attachments

• 648A3976-ed.jpg
    648A3976-ed.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 244