Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does an actual vinyl exist with magnetic capabilities?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by gabagoo, Aug 22, 2018.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I can't remember if I had read something about a product like this. Customer wants a 4'x 8' magnetic write erase board, but they are so expensive as I can't get a discounted price on them so out side of decorating it, I can't really mark it up. Is there a vinyl that has some form of metal in it?

I have heard of magnetic paint but I don't think I want to go that route.

Tags:
  2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

No magnetic vinyl. If you're trying to make a custom dry erase board, have a sheetmetal shop make you a 4x8 of galvanized steel, print on white vinyl and laminate with a dry erase laminate, stick it on the steel. It will be expensive by the time you get done. especially if you have to figure out some kind of edge trim to prevent cut fingers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Wrap the vinyl around the edges.

4. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Even if it did exist, it wouldn't be very strong

Least expensive way to do this, get a sheet of white sheet steel, either from grimco or a roofing supply company, then use contact cement to apply it to a substrate like MDO or alupanel, and laminate the whole thing with dry erase laminate, use plastic edge cap on the edges. all in cost is under $200 and about 2 hours of your time.

Or call architectural school products and pay $800 for the same thing

5. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    Or... Multipanel makes an ACM-like product with white steel skins instead of aluminum. Not sure if this would help or not.I'm not sure who would sell it up there.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Thanks guys, I have done the galvanized steel route before on smaller sizes and it works well. With a 4 x 8 I really don't want to go that route. Will just buy the board and suck it up.

7. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    oops

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  8. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Actually there are rolls of material that is both magnetic and dry erase. It has to be installed with contact cement though.

9. Chasez

Chasez Member

Jan 6, 2014
    canada
    There is a new product from aslan that has a magnetic property to it and you can just laminate with dry erase. Check out your local ND and ask them about the new aslan products. We haven't tried it yet but it looks like it will work well.

Chaz

10. clarizeyale

clarizeyale Member

Aug 25, 2016
    SF Bay Area
    This sounds like a job we just did for a tech company. We had ours custom built by a company that builds tradeshow builds and just applied vinyl with dry erase lam over it.

11. Nickprints

Nickprints Member

Aug 20, 2018
    Ma
    Poly Satin Visual Magnetic is what your looking for

12. Billct2

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Nick, is that dry erase also? and adhesive backed?

13. Nickprints

Nickprints Member

Aug 20, 2018
    Ma
    my apologies it does not, it is simply a vinyl thick magnet in 54 inch rolls. It is cpable of being laminated in dry erase. I was a lil mistaken in my understanding of the use of the product (should have read more carefully)

14. InstantOneMedia

InstantOneMedia Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Atlanta
    You could use a peel & stick magnetic receptive material. Then use a dry-erase magnet. With this combo, magnets could be applied onto the dry-erase magnet.

15. Billct2

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    For my project I haven't found any in 48" or larger