• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does an actual vinyl exist with magnetic capabilities?

gabagoo

I can't remember if I had read something about a product like this. Customer wants a 4'x 8' magnetic write erase board, but they are so expensive as I can't get a discounted price on them so out side of decorating it, I can't really mark it up. Is there a vinyl that has some form of metal in it?

I have heard of magnetic paint but I don't think I want to go that route.

unclebun

No magnetic vinyl. If you're trying to make a custom dry erase board, have a sheetmetal shop make you a 4x8 of galvanized steel, print on white vinyl and laminate with a dry erase laminate, stick it on the steel. It will be expensive by the time you get done. especially if you have to figure out some kind of edge trim to prevent cut fingers.

CanuckSigns

Even if it did exist, it wouldn't be very strong

Least expensive way to do this, get a sheet of white sheet steel, either from grimco or a roofing supply company, then use contact cement to apply it to a substrate like MDO or alupanel, and laminate the whole thing with dry erase laminate, use plastic edge cap on the edges. all in cost is under $200 and about 2 hours of your time.

Or call architectural school products and pay $800 for the same thing

Joe House

Or... Multipanel makes an ACM-like product with white steel skins instead of aluminum. Not sure if this would help or not.I'm not sure who would sell it up there.

Good luck.

gabagoo

Thanks guys, I have done the galvanized steel route before on smaller sizes and it works well. With a 4 x 8 I really don't want to go that route. Will just buy the board and suck it up.

Billct2

Actually there are rolls of material that is both magnetic and dry erase. It has to be installed with contact cement though.

Chasez

There is a new product from aslan that has a magnetic property to it and you can just laminate with dry erase. Check out your local ND and ask them about the new aslan products. We haven't tried it yet but it looks like it will work well.

Chaz

clarizeyale

This sounds like a job we just did for a tech company. We had ours custom built by a company that builds tradeshow builds and just applied vinyl with dry erase lam over it.

Nickprints

Nick, is that dry erase also? and adhesive backed?
my apologies it does not, it is simply a vinyl thick magnet in 54 inch rolls. It is cpable of being laminated in dry erase. I was a lil mistaken in my understanding of the use of the product (should have read more carefully)

InstantOneMedia

You could use a peel & stick magnetic receptive material. Then use a dry-erase magnet. With this combo, magnets could be applied onto the dry-erase magnet.