• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anybody have a creative way of recycling all the backing paper we throw away?

mark galoob

i use it for packing paper in my pack and ship store...just tear off amount needed and crumble up, just like packing paper...

mark galoob

Sticky Signs

There are companies that are starting to recycle it. They're also recycling pre-mask and some vinyls. Not sure if it's available in your area but it's starting to happen around here.

petrosgraphics

we use the backing sheet on the lam as our backing sheet when we feed vinyl through

the lam... it all set-up on a roll, why not use it... cheaper than kraft paper....

kage

I use it for my heat press when making tshirts to keep my platen clean, I screenprint on them for heat transfers.. also for drawing templates on my plotter. I love the stuff.

messmedia

funny, I just wanted to say same thing as kage.

More as idea then the fact - or, to spill my brainstorm, - silicon surface that alows things to be peeled off without ruining the surface could be easilly used for some things that need temporary branding.
Reusable packages (simple boxes made and wraped in backing material with smooth side up so a sticker can be applied and removed later on)
I had a client recently that wanted me to make him folders for his agents with possibility to print different contact information, and to change those imprints at will. I didn't remember this though. I could make folders and stick backing paper to it, screen-print his logo so it doesnt erase, and then print decals with his agents contacts to be applied on - backing paper ...

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I use it for my heat press when making tshirts to keep my platen clean, I screenprint on them for heat transfers.. also for drawing templates on my plotter. I love the stuff.

Dang, that's a good idea! Gonna have to steal that one.

JimmyG

If I ever have to deliver any panels that have been painted, I'll wrap them silicone side against the paint to prevent it from sticking to anything else.
Same here WB.....

I also save and use larger pieces (silicone side up) on my work tables when edge gluing pieces of HDU (and wood) using polyurethane glue like Gorilla or Excel when I need to glue laying flat...Glues won't stick and makes for easy sanding...
I use it for paint masking with the paper side out because tape won't stick either...LOL

firesignz

Celebrating 10 Years in business
Have been re-purposing backing paper in many ways...

While I am sure NONE of the things I do are even close to original, here are some of the ideas I have come up with.

The small pieces go into the shredder to save space in the dumpster.

Large pieces get rolled up and used for MANY different things. Some as paint barrier to keep the table and floor clean (I am a mess when it comes to paint). I keep the really long ones for use in place of kraft paper when possible to wrap up large acryllic sign faces (so they don't get damaged in transit to the customer).

I always keep a roll or two in the work truck in addition to my tarps and drop clothes to use as disposable protective barriers. I have found these to be really useful in food service establishments to cover over flat areas while replacing indoor faces - LOTS OF DUST gets shaken up.

I have also used some of the long rolls to help out customers with NEW stores to allow them to cover over their windows while construction is in progress - of course this is only after signage contract is completed and the Coming Soon paper signs go up - made by yours truly!

I have had a couple of opportunities to use as pounce paper but not much of a call for that as I outsource MOST of the carved work.

Depending on what kind of vinyl it is, SOME have NOT printing at all on the back. If and when I come up with these (rare) I keep them and give to my daughters school for the art classroom and to her girl scout troop - they always like making big banners with crayons and markers - and big paper is pretty expensive.

Just my $0.02!!!

Leadbelly

Ok guy's i have no great ideas but I'm going to bring this thread down with a BUM.....p. As a kid at school one of the things I remember was the toilet paper, it was called IZAL and trust me it had what seemed like a silicone coating on both sides, that's right no WIPE JUST SKID:omg2: The only way to get a medium application tack was to scrunch the paper up, unfortunately it did not give the paper any cast properties.

Hold on I have an idea, If you have staff who spend too long in the ( WC ) I suggest you remove the lovely soft quilted stuff and replace it with a few squares of silicone paper. I am quite sure this will increase productivity as less time ( IF ANY ) will be spent in the ( WC ) and there will be a great saving in the purchase of toilet roll. Now that's what I call recycling, two for the price of one.

Leadbelly

Mosh

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

fmg

i use the flipside for patterns when I have dimensional lettering to install. Plotter, pen and pattern save money!

messmedia

I saw some alley cats through my window yesterdey. Or, kittens to be exact, 5 of them. This morning, only 4. :{(
So, I wanted to feed them, and went to only store in my area that sell food (people food), buy some of it, but they didnt have any bowls, and I do not have any in my office, or anything to use as.
Anyway, I did use backing material to make bowls for those cats today.

kage

Wouldn't the ink bead up putting it on the silicone side?

Thats what I thought it would do...Turns out it prints real nice, I use plastisols btw.
I wouldnt imagine you could store these tho',.. ive seen the oils seep into the paper when it was uncured.
Next time your press is set up give it a try.