• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

does anybody know what material this is?

BadAss

Search this forum, I can't remember what it was under, but we discussed it last year sometime. And it seems to me I believe it is only available in Europe..But I could be wrong. I know it is not here in the U.S.

Haakon

It may look like that, but it is vinyl:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 133

Haakon

Just a small update on this, I was over at a friend that I sold my first plotter to, he had a roll of this vinyl, so I got a small sample from him.

Took a small piece and applied it to a Coke bottle just to test, it was pretty workable even without heat (but if you stretch it too much, the chrome turns dull where you stretched it).

But you can anyhow see the difference between this and regular chrome vinyl. The vinyl itself seems to be white cast vinyl that has a chrome layer applied on top, maybe thermally like from a Gerber Edge or something similar to this? About half an inch on either side of the roll is white, so is the adhesive side.

Here is a pic:

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 88

Signguywi

Premium Subscriber
Ive just ordered a roll of the 3M chrome from a supplier in Germany. I plan on laminating it to 3M 180. You have to then laminate another layer of the 180 to protect the chrome during installation and remove it once its on. I receive it on Monday and I'll let you know how the process goes.

I was on the phone to 3M Commercial Graphics division here in the states and they offered no explanation as to why that chrome vinyl is not offered in the states.

The Rvinyl chrome is only 24" wide but they claim it will conform. They NEVER answer the phone and takes DAYS to call you back.

I spoke to a guy in Fellers product development and they are actively working on supplying the 3M chrome.

CheapVehicleWrap

yes, I'd figure on getting 12k+++ per passenger vehicle when all is said and done with extra materials, labor etc. Hope you're not intending on doing this for 3 grand. We've been trying to get it for over 2 years now. I do know someone overseas that uses it.

Last edited:

heyskull

I heard that Oracal were about to introduce a flexible chrome but have held back because of problems.

SC