• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does Anyone Actually Print ROLAND Media?

petepaz

the only roland material i ever used was the free stuf that came with my machines
i think if you used roland material you would go broke you would have to charge too much

splizaat

LOL I haven't even bothered printing the sample piece I got yet. I walked by it the other day and thought about whether anyone actually uses it or not.

Mike F

We use their Solvent Glossy Paper from time to time, and we'll probably get some of the adhesive-backed SGP if we ever get an order for paper labels or decals instead of vinyl. Other than that, nope. We've got sample rolls of their Solvent Satin Canvas and their Glossy Calendered Vinyl, but I haven't even touched them yet.

we used the sample rolls we got with the printer but apart from that....oh, actually i think we got in some static roland media...thats about it though

Mike F

How does the sticky backed paper work for something like a wine or beer label?

Haven't tried it yet actually, gonna see if I can get a sample from our supplier next time I put an order in. I love the way their SGP prints so I was pretty excited when I heard they were coming out with an adhesive-backed version. I'll probably start using it for mounted posters as well, just so I don't have to deal with the aggravation of spray mounting. God do I hate spray mounting.

Also been looking at their Blue-Back Matter Paper, it's pretty cheap and it's supposed to print really well too.

Baz

Used to be .. Roland's adhesive vinyls were manufactured by Avery :covereyes: .. I don't know if they have changed or not .. But it is overpriced IMO.

splizaat

Wow didn't ever think to print to sticky-backed paper and mount to foamcore for blowup prints....usually we're printing oracal3164, mask and mount to foamcore. We do lots of blowups and this could be a time saver.

Mike F

Wow didn't ever think to print to sticky-backed paper and mount to foamcore for blowup prints....usually we're printing oracal3164, mask and mount to foamcore. We do lots of blowups and this could be a time saver.

Yea, we usually just use some adhesive calendered vinyl when we don't have any SGP. We use a hinge method with our laminator to mount too which makes it super easy and virtually impossible to bubble unless you really screw up. It's a real time and material saver, especially on big prints. Only thing that sucks is having the starting section of vinyl totally exposed to get it going, it's stupid thin and likes to curl over onto itself or onto the guard in front of the rollers, especially with full coverage prints. Luckily you don't need a whole lot to get it started, just like 4 - 5 inches. Really need to invest in a backing slitter so I can just peel as it feeds like I do with the other end once it's started.

That probably sounds confusing as all hell and I didn't really explain the whole process, so if anyone is curious about using their laminator to mount let me know and I'll explain it a bit better. It really is a good technique to know, especially if you hate mounting by hand as much as I do.

splizaat

So I got a sample piece of the Roland SGP Paper (non adhesive) and I have to say...i LOVE it. Nice and thick, semi-glossy and prints great. Unless anyone else knows of something similar for less, I was thinking of ordering up a roll....Printed a poster of my girlfriend and WOW. Didn't think the price on THIS material was actually TOO bad for being Roland brand media.

30" x 100ft for $64

http://www.rolanddgastore.com/product.aspx?zpid=433

Ken

I'm also a fan of the Glossy paper. I was able to buy some by the yard way back when.
Ken