• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

does anyone clear the edges of sign gold?

NHsignmaker

I know Sign Gold recommends brushing the cut edges of the vinyl with clear. This could add hours onto a truck lettering job, is it worth it?

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have no clue if it's a good idea or not, but if you decide to do it would the edge sealing pen work faster than a brush?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are we talking about a fire engine or ambulance...... or just two truck doors ?? I don't see how it would take hours to do ??

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Use a good sward pinstripe brush, they hold a lot of material... Less dippy-dippy, more painty-painty ;)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not my layout, but that sounds like wa-a-a-ay too much gold leaf. Gold usually is reserved for the main name and maybe a second line, while the rest of the copy is done in some complementary or analogous colors for a more cohesive feel. In my opinion, regardless of what the customer wants, a truck, sign or most anything..... all gold leaf would be overbearing, except on a fire truck, as it's expected there.

Nanci

Always. I tested sogn gold without edge sealing on a sign of ours and it lasted about ten years though. Then it pretty much disintegrated around the edges. It is my least favorite part of the job but it works

SignosaurusRex

When we first started doing SignGold jobs we used the Sealit pen. Now we apply a cast clear overlaminate over the whole thing with a 1/8" or so trap.
Plus Plus for this method. It saves time and lasts longer than edge sealing alone as well as protecting the SignGold surface. I like to use a 3/16th" contour overlap of cast clear film.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
I usually weed the gold, if printing on it, or apply it to the background vinyl first, then laminate the entire piece and cut the laminate by hand and giving it a 3/16" ridge away from the vinyl so it looks like it was cleared. Takes little time and this way you should wet apply as the overlap of laminate will stick before the adhesive vinyl back, Prevents lipping.

clarksigns

I know Sign Gold recommends brushing the cut edges of the vinyl with clear. This could add hours onto a truck lettering job, is it worth it?
we have been doing gold since 1988 and we have used Seal It pen and overlaminate, and prefer the Seal It pen. Although overlaminate has its place we don't like the look that it leaves on the vehicle. On the other hand if you are putting the Signgold on top of a outline/shadow I definitely would seal the bottom layers. One time on a vehicle the outline/shadow is the thing that failed when it got excessively hot on the surface of the metal and we lost the gold in the process

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I never seal it. It is only going to last as long as whatever you stick it on.

As far as laminating it: it will change the refractive index and it won't look like real gold anymore. I don't see the point.