• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone else notice that this is not working or is it only me?

phototec

Dropping water on the Japan's Fukushima Nuclear Plant from a helicopter at this altitude and speed, is only making a water mist and could not possibility re-fill the spent fuel rod pool!

The BBC is now reporting that “spent fuel rods in reactors five and six are also now believed to be heating up,” with a new fire at reactor 4, where more spent rods are stored, causing smoke to pour from the facility.

“Japanese news agency Kyodo reports that the storage pool in reactor four – where the spent fuel rods are kept – may be boiling. Tepco says readings are showing high levels of radiation in the building, so it is inaccessible,” adds the report.

“At the 40-year-old Fukushima Daiichi unit 1, where an explosion Saturday destroyed a building housing the reactor, the spent fuel pool, in accordance with General Electric’s design, is placed above the reactor. Tokyo Electric said it was trying to figure out how to maintain water levels in the pools, indicating that the normal safety systems there had failed, too. Failure to keep adequate water levels in a pool would lead to a catastrophic fire, said nuclear experts, some of whom think that unit 1’s pool may now be outside,” reports the Washington Post.

The rods must be kept cool because otherwise they start to burn and, in the case of reactor number 3, would release plutonium and uranium in the form of vapor into the atmosphere.

“That’s bad news, because plutonium scattered into the atmosphere is even more dangerous that the combustion products of rods without plutonium,” writes Kirk James Murphy.

“We’d be lucky if we only had to worry about the spent fuel rods from a single holding pool. We’re not that lucky. The Fukushima Daiichi plant has seven pools for spent fuel rods. Six of these are (or were) located at the top of six reactor buildings. One “common pool” is at ground level in a separate building. Each “reactor top” pool holds 3450 fuel rod assemblies. The common pool holds 6291 fuel rod assemblies. [The common pool has windows on one wall which were almost certainly destroyed by the tsunami.] Each assembly holds sixty-three fuel rods. This means the Fukushima Daiichi plant may contain over 600,000 spent fuel rods.”

Attachments

• helicopter-fukushima.jpg
    helicopter-fukushima.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 80
  • Nuclear spent fuel rod storage.jpg
    Nuclear spent fuel rod storage.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Get out of Tokyo Foreign Office tells all Britons to leave toxic radiation zone as Japanese 'los.jpg
    Get out of Tokyo Foreign Office tells all Britons to leave toxic radiation zone as Japanese 'los.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 76

WrapperX

I'm confused by this whole process. When my dad's fish pond in the back yard got low he put a hose it in it and filled it with water from the tap. Kept the levels up just fine. Now I know fuel rod dispossal pools are a little different. But why exactly aren't they continuing the use of hoses or direct water sources to keep these pools filled?? Aren't these people, the ones working at these plants, supposed to be some of the smartest people on the planet? And the best they can come up with is dropping water from 1000's of feet up?

Is it that they can't get close enough with out risk of contamination? Is it that they have no source of fresh water? What? Does any know?

signage

The problem is water being in the pools in not the same as water circulating through the system! The water in these pools need to be circulated through a cooing device/tower.

WrapperX

I read that - and it means in accessible to humans - so a robot can't carry in a hose? Idk, there's gotta be a better solution. It seems it would be inaffective to just drop it on there. Kinda like spitting into a bucket from the top of a 12' ladder and hoping it hits the mark.

WrapperX

The problem is water being in the pools in not the same as water circulating through the system! The water in these pools need to be circulated through a cooing device/tower.

Ok so if it needs to be circulated then what good does dropping water on it do? Does the splash cause a circulation affect.

I'm sorry, I'm probably asking the wrong people. And if I could I would sit down and ask the people involved I would - however they have more important things to work on right now.

S

SignTech

Wrapper .......... great questions ....... ever watch the full story on Chernobyl? The full series is on youtube ... I ask because you mentioned 'robots' ... they too where used at Chernobyl .... and fried from radiation ............ yes the robots fried ..

S

SignTech

Ok so if it needs to be circulated then what good does dropping water on it do? Does the splash cause a circulation affect.

I'm sorry, I'm probably asking the wrong people. And if I could I would sit down and ask the people involved I would - however they have more important things to work on right now.

Wrapper, another great question ... I have put the wet stuff on the red stuff hundreds of times in my life. When I saw the helicopter water drops mu jaw hit the floor. Steam nothing but evaporated steam ......... zero affect ... your eyes and common sense are serving you well. You don't need to sit down with Einstein ....... just watch the mess unfolding 'live' ... their desperate (the Japan Gov.) the poor bastards dropping that water are f*&edd ....... I really hope there is a light at the end in sight ... quickly ...

Sorry didn't realize this wasn't NHB section

WrapperX

Beleive it or not I was just reading up on the events of Chernobyl - I was 7 yrs old when it happened and don't know the details and thus the history of it since then - Interesting how the Russian Government tried to cover it up. How the local fire fighters brought in to clean up the initial mess were there with out any protective gear and were picking up the blown up materials laying around with only heat gloves and all that. What a mess it became. However this was 26 years ago to my knowledge nuclear power plants were really in their infancy then. It was the events of Chernobyl that lead to the safety measures that current plants take for granted. However, No, I didn't know they tried to use robots their either. I guess if these are the smartest people in the world, we should trust that they know what they're doing right?

Poor innocent robots didn't even know what they were being asked to do....

S

SignTech

It's a great watch Wrapper ......... if you get a chance. Yes plants have improved especially in the US ... our containers are massive ....... these GE reactors in Japan have marginal containers at best ... how come ohhhhhh yeah the Japanese saved ton's of money building these. I didn't make this up ... it's out there for everyone to hear.

The Japanese are intelligent, especially with technology ... wayyy advanced ........ but they still have that independent we will never fail attitude ... stick a sword in my gut cause I failed position ......... they have to let people help them ...... they have cartoons and game shows running on their TV broadcasts right now in Tokyo ...

Many say we shouldn't panic ... and I agree, especially in the US ... but this reality event can and will someday ........ land on our doorsteps too if we don't stop being so all knowing arrogant humans ........... ;)

S

SignTech

:help What does that mean? You worked with water and radioactive material before?

No no no sorry ... I was a Fireman for 21 years ....... but I know how those water buckets operate, especially in forest fires and if it's hot enough at surface levels that water will evaporate instantly .... it works marginally on brush fires ... and those planes can get in real low ........ watch the videos of the reactors ....... that water was gone seconds after it was dumped.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4591288/effort-underway-to-connect-emergency-power-line-to-plant

WrapperX

The water DOESN"T EVEN reach the tops of the buildings before it's gone!! And this is their best solution? :omg2:

This will not end well - mark our words.

S

SignTech

The water DOESN"T EVEN reach the tops of the buildings before it's gone!! And this is their best solution? :omg2:

This will not end well - mark our words.

Well it may end, Michio Kaku has an idea ... but no one listens *shrug :popcorn: