• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone have any experience with Learn2PaintSigns.com?

Craig Sjoquist

This is the newest craze going on now, Teaching people how to hand paint signs.

The good thing about buying a CD is ya have it to watch over & over, when I learned it was the Speedball book & practice & school.

Today being only one school that is in LA OR workshops going on also Youtube.

Ok if you like to meet 3 of the best teachers that put on workshops that I know of...Mike Meyer is having a letterhead meet in Minnesota March 4th-8th & this will be a blow out of awesome great learning to the max & meet.

If you can afford the week being gone & cost of it all $200 entry for all 5 days or $50 per day... Warning if ya come for a day or 2 you will stay for the rest because there will be so much going on & so inspiring every minute & recharging of creativeness, you will be in a daze for weeks.

Anyway if your serious, & have the cash flow GO. to the meet you will not regret one minute.

Ya missed the Birmingham letterhead meet & one other near you that ya would have hands on learning.

As far as the CD is concern...The website is very poor & un-trusting looking with very few lines of copy done by hand really makes me wonder on content of CD & just a good way to make money....That is my 2 cents

Hope there is a better comment about this.

In real ask how do you learn well if watching a CD on screen is it go for it, not seen others make any YET.

If ya got more questions glad to answer & will watch this thread.

OldPaint

IF YOU ARE REALLY TRULY..........wanting to learn to hand letter, iam sure if you look around your area ill bet ya there is probably a REAL BRUSH SIGN PAINTER near you..............and if he is like any of us who do paint/hand letter.........iam sure he would be happy to show you how to get good at this....and it WONT COST YA ANYTHING BUT YOUR .........TIME AND ATTENTION)))) i know one right off the top of my head not far from you.
TIMMI BARROW, WINSTON-SALEM.N.C....... know for painting the infields on NASCAR tracks.

visual800

His hand lettering seems to be good but his layouts and airbrushing sucks. Cool logo for his website though, kinda old school ghetto.

You cannot learn to handletter from a cd and I wouldnt waste my money. Wanna learn something do it and keep doing it. And not to offend any of those that hand letter why do you wish to learn this?

I appreciate everyone's advice. I would love to spend a day with an experienced sign painter, I just haven't been able to find one near me. As far as why I want to learn how to do this, there are really a number of reasons I guess. I started my business with intentions to pretty much only do fire department work. I have branched out into a wider spectrum of work since then, but the majority of what I do is still fire department related. I have done a lot of research to learn about traditional fire apparatus lettering and gold leaf, which caused me to order everything I needed to do authentic hand gilded gold leaf because the vinyl stuff just wasn't impressing me anymore. So I've been working on my gilding skills and researching that, which caused me to stumble onto some websites that had examples of reverse glass work. So I ordered some more stuff and now I'm trying to teach myself how to do that also. But at some point I realized that all of this gilding stuff is based off of hand lettering skills, so that is why I want to learn. I guess my interests don't really fit my age. All this new digitally printed stuff really doesn't do much for me, but I could spend hours looking at old hand lettered trucks and reverse glass shop windows.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
we all learn differently but there is nothing like learning and training
from a crafstsman... I think a letterhead meet and learning from a
sign painter MAY help more than this CD BUT!

...one day or a week won't cut it.

The DVD's, It's the cost of one cheap door graphic... why not give
it a shot. I'm sure you have more scrap worth 125 bucks. Then perfect
your skills using the basics as brought out in the intro.

The female voice on the video would tick me off but if I needed some help
I would buy them.

You might also try here...
http://www.xcaliberart.com/video.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/ptardifinc/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/monkeysign123

You might look into old copies or Letterhead Magazine
Subscribe and buy back issues of auto-art magazine...

check out the links...
http://www.autoartmagazine.com/kool links.htm

The biggest thing is... learn more than just "sign shop layout"
You can look at typical sign shop layout too much. After a while
it all starts looking the same.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The female voice on the video would tick me off but if I needed some help
I would buy them.
Could you really learn hand painting from someone who is either an out of work Decepticon or in the witness protection/relocation program?

wayne k
guam usa

Billct2

It really helps to actually see someone lettering, hopefully correctly, so a video is better than nothing. You should search a little further to see what else may be availabl and compare them. Oi would think YouTube would have some freebies.

jen.reelez

Just recently watched their tutorials, and I think it is a fun thing to try it. :Big Laugh

However, their must be somewhere out there better than it, at lesser or no costs.:rolleyes:

Thank you all for the great advice. I'm looking around to see if there is anything better out there, and I'm also trying to find some local sign painters. Does anyone have any recommendations for some good books on sign painting, old signs, reverse glass work and shop front lettering? I have the Mastering Layouts book, a newer edition of the Speedball book and I also just picked up the Gold Leaf Techniques book, but I am always looking for more to add to the collection.