• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Does anyone have any experience with "THE BIG SQUEEGEE" Manual film laminator

fine point

It's good for laminating small prints with laminate scraps.
We have done pretty big prints too, but I wouldn't suggest doing anything longer than 4 ft, unless you have very stable hands.

tulsagraphics

Does anyone have any experience with "THE BIG SQUEEGEE"......manual film laminator?
I own half a dozen of the original Big Squeegees (PVC plastic versions). They were used very regularly for about 15 years to apply prints on ACM / coro / etc. (until I got my Rolls Roller table) Now I only use the squeegees for on-site / vertical installations (e.g. full coverage storefront). Big squeegees are decent tools, but they do require technique depending on the material you're applying. You must apply pressure very evenly, and use that pressure to force the liner to curl away from the graphic to avoid bubbles. When applying larger prints (like running out a 4x8 ACM panel) it works better with 2 people. Sometimes I had luck climbing on top of the production table and pushing it out myself. Not easy, but it was doable in a pinch. My biggest complaint is that it would stretch out the film during application, and sometimes skew. A 96" print could get stretched out by 1/2-3/4" or more, and walk about a 1/4"-1/2" to the side (darker, richer inks would tend to stretch more). The stretching was especially noticeable when the artwork had a frame border.

The mgfr. uses velcro or other adhesive-backed fabric to cover the edge of the squeegee (depending on the model), which collects dust and affects your application (lines / scratches / impressions in finished products)... just like your smaller velcro stripped hand squeegees do.

As far as "laminating" goes, I would not recommend them. If you've ever tried using any squeegee to apply laminate, you already know how difficult it is to avoid silvering and streaking. Big squeegees are similar to this. For applying laminate, the best way to go is with an actual roll to roll laminator.

Maybe the newer squeegees work a little better since they're made of solid aluminum (less flexing?), but I haven't tried them yet.

Dollar for dollar, I'd say the Big Squeegees are definitely worth the money -- just know you'll have to figure out techniques for getting decent results.

unclebun

Yes. The new aluminum ones work far better than the PVC ones did. Still require a completely flat table, and careful technique for good results.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
The old plastic laminator tools had either Velcro loop with a cotton tape cover or felt. There are some tools still going strong after 15 years of service. I've recently got orders for felt that was held on by Velcro which were made in the first 5 years. It is unfortunate that we are having an aluminum shortage and I am unable to provide any more aluminum tools. I was told that the wait time is just over a year for new squeegee stock. We have gone back to a plastic tool.

tulsagraphics

Dont mean to hijack but what tape do they use on the edge of the old plastic ones?
Thick (traditional) velcro strips for the regular applicator squeegees, and a thinner fabric on the "laminator" versions. I believe the thinner fabric is covering a thin plastic/rubber bead along the edge, but I don't remember for sure. I just didn't like how it performed on laminate so I stopped using it ages ago.

tulsagraphics

The old plastic laminator tools had either Velcro loop with a cotton tape cover or felt. There are some tools still going strong after 15 years of service. I've recently got orders for felt that was held on by Velcro which were made in the first 5 years. It is unfortunate that we are having an aluminum shortage and I am unable to provide any more aluminum tools. I was told that the wait time is just over a year for new squeegee stock. We have gone back to a plastic tool.
What I'd like to see is a modular version of the big squeegee (if it's even possible) where you could sleeve an extension to one or both sides, then maybe a disposable plastic edge molding to sleeve over the edge as needed.... because I run into so many jobs where my squeegees are 5" too big or whatever. It would be hard (and/or very expensive) to make a modular version that would stay really flat/rigid (I've had custom aluminum extrusions manufactured in the past = very pricey!), but it sounds nice!

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
What I'd like to see is a modular version of the big squeegee (if it's even possible) where you could sleeve an extension to one or both sides, then maybe a disposable plastic edge molding to sleeve over the edge as needed.... because I run into so many jobs where my squeegees are 5" too big or whatever. It would be hard (and/or very expensive) to make a modular version that would stay really flat/rigid (I've had custom aluminum extrusions manufactured in the past = very pricey!), but it sounds nice!
I've given a lot of thought to a modular version. It is possible to join a short extension to any of the extruded tools. It would have worked good with the aluminum tools with no problems. I still have some short pieces of the aluminum if anyone wants to add some length to their existing laminator tool. The plastic ones would have to be ordered together as a pair to insure they matched up.

Eforcer

Does anyone have any experience with "THE BIG SQUEEGEE"......manual film laminator?
I've had these squeegee's since 08' They are taped, broken and sorry looking. But we used them everyday. I also have an aluminum squeegie that we don't use, cause our table SUCKS! Was flat for the first 6 months. But this building was a bar for 50 years and the moisture in the air is crazy.

Attachments

• S2.jpg
    S2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 129
  • S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 135