• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Does anyone know if you can use an adhesive on a silicone sealant to help your graphics stick?

RWPrint

We are adding an 18" high frosted vinyl 'privacy strip' along some glass panels. These are floor to ceiling glass panels: 2 straight, 2 turned 45 degrees and the others, straight. [photo attached] The silicone is optically clear and on either side of the 45 degree glass, the silicone is just a hair over 5/8" wide/thick. You can see through... Client wants us to run the frosted runner over the silicone.

Not much will stick to silicone... I informed the client such and they are asking for a solution...I called the manufacturer of the silicone for info on what added adhesives we could use, but no help.

Has anyone used an adhesive on silicone to get vinyl to stay down?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
~DC

Attachments

• Photo-Feb-02,-9-42-57-AM-edit.jpg
    Photo-Feb-02,-9-42-57-AM-edit.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 216

papabud

Lone Wolf
you could try 3m primer see if that will help.
i go over sealant all the time and its hit or miss on if it will even stick.
you would be better off setting up a design with a planned design break at the window seams
like instead of a solid bar, do bars with rounded corners at the window breaks.

RWPrint

you could try 3m primer see if that will help.
i go over sealant all the time and its hit or miss on if it will even stick.
you would be better off setting up a design with a planned design break at the window seams
like instead of a solid bar, do bars with rounded corners at the window breaks.

Thank you for your input. I may just have to say no....

Baz

The solution is to do it properly.

Frosted vinyl over glass. Not over silicone.

Chasez

The solution is to do it properly.

Frosted vinyl over glass. Not over silicone.

I agree, you don't put vinyl over silicone gaps. If you do you better plan on going back and replacing it at your cost after the client freaks out because it starts to peel after a few washes.

Chaz

RWPrint

I agree, you don't put vinyl over silicone gaps. If you do you better plan on going back and replacing it at your cost after the client freaks out because it starts to peel after a few washes.

Chaz

My concern about it not sticking didn't seem important to the client. They will have to take no for an answer.... thanks!