• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone know what materials get used for printed ads on the mats in UFC fights

LittletonSign

Hi Everyone,
Let me start off by saying that I'm not a big fan of UFC, but a client who owns a dojo wants me to supply banners and graphics for a UFC style competition. My question is, does anyone know what gets used on the mat, in the ring. They are selling six ad spots that people will be walking, wrestling, fighting on. I'm assuming that it can't be just printed vinyl. Might it be some kind of textile?
The whole thing is kind of a pain and if they weren't already a customer I would probably tell them to take a hike (politely of course, as to not get beat up). I just can't find any references to what gets used on the mat.

Attachments

• Gladius_Berlin_Sponsor_Deck-Mat.jpg
    Gladius_Berlin_Sponsor_Deck-Mat.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 629

Biker Scout

As you know, Las Vegas is host to all kinds of main boxing events. Well, I was able to meet to guy who does the boxing ring mats and see his facility. And it's barely bigger than the ring material when stretched out. It's a canvasy cotton like painters tarp material. And they are painted by hand. (One-Shot) Yes, even the intricate logos. What they wouldn't divulge is how they they do it. But I saw a hoist in the beams, and I'm pretty sure they use an overhead projector. It seriously looks like a lot of work. I asked how come they don't have them printed. He says because the covers come pre-sewn with all the reinforcement patches, grommets and cable loops. And that no wide format printer can print on the fabric, nor be able to take up the material with all it's edge work pre done.

peavey123

Blood. They're painted on with the blood of all the UFC fighters. jk What he said. ^^ I've seen the mats getting installed looks to be painted.

LittletonSign

Thanks all,
I like Peavey's idea, sounds easier than Biker Scout's option, albeit more painful. And if I had the space I'd take Player's advice and use some kind of mask. So I will see if they still want me to do the banners and decals but not the mat, but whoever does the mat will probably want the whole job, no skin off my back either way though.
I'll try to remember to update this post with the outcome.
Thanks again

droider4life

I use to make logos for a Small fight promoter. The matt on his cage floor was like 24oz banner material. I Printed on a 3621 Oracal Removable vinyl. He wanted to change them every couple fights or so. It was removable so it was a breeze to peel them and add new. Just a suggestion. However if he is using a more professional matt it will most likely be a canvas, then paint is the only option since vinyl wont stick to it.

LittletonSign

I use to make logos for a Small fight promoter. The matt on his cage floor was like 24oz banner material. I Printed on a 3621 Oracal Removable vinyl. He wanted to change them every couple fights or so. It was removable so it was a breeze to peel them and add new. Just a suggestion. However if he is using a more professional matt it will most likely be a canvas, then paint is the only option since vinyl wont stick to

I emailed him to ask what he is using and what he did last time. He has put one local event together (1000 people in the crowd in the way north northeast) and now he is part of a group putting this event together in Boston. So something like this may work, I'll have to wait to hear his response.

LittletonSign

I guess I don't understand how "Reply with Quote" works.
I could do what Stanton is suggesting but I would have to charge 3x because Boston is 3+ hours away.

player

Thanks all,
I like Peavey's idea, sounds easier than Biker Scout's option, albeit more painful. And if I had the space I'd take Player's advice and use some kind of mask. So I will see if they still want me to do the banners and decals but not the mat, but whoever does the mat will probably want the whole job, no skin off my back either way though.
I'll try to remember to update this post with the outcome.
Thanks again

How much space do you need?

Could you use a latex paint? It would dry faster.

Is it just the one main decal in the center on the floor? It reads that the numbered rectangles represent ad spots on the cage...?

How big is the decal?

Fold the tarp up to the area and size of the decal. Cut logo out of calendered vinyl. Apply vinyl. Roll on paint. Remove mask. Let dry. Repeat if required.