• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone own the new Summa 30" Thermal Printer yet?

2NinerNiner2

To any one who has had their DC3 or DC4 for a while...what kind of real-world maintenance issues are you having, if any. To me, this would seem like one of the major benefits of these machines in the long term over any of the ink jets. Just look at all the posts here with folks having problems with pumps, dampers, wipers, capping stations, lines, etc., etc. Yet another benefit that I see is one that comes from my Gerber Edge experience and that is color matching in regards to reprinting an existing job many months later. This is a snap with thermal technology: load the same ribbons and go :) I ran into this issue a while back with my VersaCAMM; the client wanted some additional items added to the menu they had on their window (which I had produced a few months prior) and I had a heck of a time getting the colors to match, even using the same materials and design and RIP software settings!

PGSigns

The repeatability on color seems to be good. I can not tell the differance in the decals I printed yesterday and the first set I did for them in Janruary. I am keeping samples from most jobs with the workorders and notes on the rip settings for all jobs. My maintenance so far has been keeping it dust free with a swifter pad and to peel off the sheet on the cleaning roller every couple of days. I am a one man opperation and if I don't have any work for the printer for a few days I don't worry at all about how it will act when I turn it back on. For the small shop this is an advantage I believe. I think the biggest advantage to the DC4 over the DC3 is the ability to use 24 and 30 inch material.
Jimmy

Ruddbow

suggestion

The fellas I bought my DC3 from explained to me a great process. Going in and ripping the file only seems to eliminate a few of my issues. They also suggested I make a shortcut to the SCC folder (which contains the files that have been ripped) Once ripped you simply open the scc file and print (you cannot modify this file) but if documented, simply burn a disk of those files every few months and it's a great way to keep a re-print in a easy place to find. I love mine, but the DC4 with the additional medium sizes sure would be a nice option.

dclet

what kind of real-world maintenance issues are you having, if any. To me, this would seem like one of the major benefits of these machines in the long term over any of the ink jets.

I just wipe it down occasionally, clean the print pad nothing major. It's a common mis-conception that it's a expensive machine(dc3) to run, but when your really compare features and time and what YOU SHOULD BE CHARGING per sq ft. it's pretty easy to turn profit.

Summa users ~
www.digital-graphica.com

Todd Jelle

Ive got the DC4SX
just wondered who else here has one & how you like it?
We like ours,
a few issues.
running out of cyan ...opis color marks
backlit signs, stilll trying to figure out the best line screen, etc...
We frequently print from Flexi, using KF diffussion instead of angled screen
which gives great results for truck door logos with gradients & blends blurs.

Just want some feed back from other DC4 users
as well as specialty medias your trying with results or opinions
or problems warnings or anything related
thanks
Todd

PGSigns

Mines running right now. Has been good so far. The learning curve was a pain getting the pass overlap right to get rid of the banding but once I got the hang of it the thing runs good. Printing is slow but if you need what these things are good at then the speed does not seem so bad. I have had good luck printing in 3 color mode and it helps with the problem of it burning off the cyan. As far as media the stuff from Summa is priced ok and the consistancy is very good. I have printed on several of the lighter colors of 651 with good results and the R-tape vinyl EFX prints great and looks good.
Jimmy

P

PrintMe!

The DC4 is on my wishlist. With the proliferation of inkjet vinyl and banner wholesalers, I see no need to have an inkjet of my own. However, I'd love to have a Summa thermal, with that incredible cutting accuracy Summa is famous for. Nice to have a printer on hand for customers who can't wait a few days.

Need decals or doorsigns? Print 'em on the DC4. Need banners or a ton of printed vinyl? Outsource.

I also like to idea of a 3-5 year anti-fade warranty. Up here in the north, where we suffer from sun deprivation and alcoholism, I'm guessing we'd be closer to the five year side of that estimate.

JMHO.

Love my D60! Four years of perfect service!