• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone use LexEdge?

mosignman

I've never used it before but want to make sub-surface labels for machine control panels. My question is what do you use to create the adhesive back? Is there a roll of two sided adhesive tape that you can get to laminate it to the label? Thanks for any help.

Brian

Billct2

Usually they are so small I use "extreme" banner tape.
Be careful using lexedge. It has a protective film that we leave on till it spools into the machine.
We score it with a double cut, but if it's not too many pieces hand cutting is fine.

Bill Modzel

I print thousands of these every year and use a tape from Tapes and Technical Solutions. ( 800-714-8806 ask for Darlene), It has a pink transparent polyliner which makes it easy to see and adjust your cut if need be. I've found the best way to cut these is to premask the face of the lexedge so you don't have to play with the cut pressure so incrementally. You can actually get a clean cut instead of the cut close and attempt to pop them apart. I'm using the .oo5" LexEdge.

Even so, I usually have my old GsxPlus cranked up close to 5 and have two or three cut lines on top of each other.

The tape is CLR D/C Polyester with red polyliner. It has a VERY aggressive adhesive. If you are off on you initial application you cannot remove it without pulling off color. I use our screen print vacuum table to help control things.

GB2

Old Member
Bill, I'm not quite understanding exactly what you are doing, could you please clarify your procedure? I'm thinking you are mirror image printing Side1 of the LexEdge and applying the adhesive to Side2 but what do you mean about the premask? Is the premask transfer tape? Are you plotting through the adhesive and then the Lexan up to the premask?

Bill Modzel

I'm mirror imaging on print side 1 and than applying adhesive to print side 1. I'm applying normal vinyl masking to side2, what will be the face side of your label. The premask acts as the carrying sheet of normal cut vinyl, it holds the lexedge together while cutting.
Yes, I'm cutting all the way through the liner,adhesive and lexedge. It's a pita job but I charge accordingly. Make sure that you apply the adhesive a few inches beyond the end of the print or it will jam up the last cuts on the plotter.

GB2

Old Member
Yes, of course mirror print Side1, adhesive to Side1, mask on Side2....I knew that, somehow I just confused myself in the terminology. Thanks!

Bill Modzel

Between the LexEdge and the adhesive that we use, there would be slight variations in the thickness and our reject rate would reflect them. Adding the premask to the mix dropped the reject rate greatly and almost cut our "popping out" time in half. One of those"duh" moments. Why did it take so long to think of it?

Embosstek

Brian,
Sorry a little late here for my 2 cents.

We print quite a bit of 10Mil LexEdge II for one customer - around 200 Yards/year.

We cut 100% through the adhesive and another approx. 75% through the LexEdge and then fold back at a straight edge and then forward and peel the parts out. These are larger parts and come out pretty easy when the Env 375 is set right. These parts are around 4.5" by 22". We print 4 spot colors and then laminate the adhesive and then cut/weed.

Depending on which Gerber plotter you have, your results and methods will vary from single cuts to double or more. Small circles are not round on an Envision and but much better on and HS or GS series from my experience.

Finally, your question...
We use 3M 467MP which is a 2mil. or you can also get 3M 486MP which is a 5mil. The 467MP is the industry standard for overlays like yours and metal and plastic nameplates, etc. A VERY GOOD point was made already...the surface that the adhesive will adhere to will determine the adhesive that you want to use. Certain surfaces such as some plastics have a Low Surface Energy or grab and require a more aggressive adhesive, while other surfaces such as clean, oil free stainless, aluminum, gloss painted metals(non-powdered coated) will have a higher surface energy grab to them.

Search ebay for: 3M 467MP 12"

Hope it goes well!