• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does Business Slowing Down?

bovegas

I had amazing year till July 1, than everything slowed down. I am doing mostly Semi-Truck lettering and small jobs for surounding business. Like window display etc...Did you guys felt business slowing down or its just me?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This question tends to come up quite a bit.

Most business has it's high and low times, so you need to plan accordingly. Over the years we've cultivated customers who buy at certain times of the years more than other times. Once you have a base going, you try to fill in your low times with more. If you have lots of semi's in the beginning of the year, look for organizations or businesses which seem to thrive in late summer and fall. That could be schools, municipalities, certain contractors and so on.

Right now, we're making it all work and we're still putting in many hours a week. However, someone in the shop is moving this weekend, so most of the guys are gonna help her out a bit. I'll come in a little and next week we'll just fire everything up again. Nice to have a 3 day weekend from time to time. Other than that, we're booked til the end of the year with quite a bit already scheduled next year.

bovegas

I am only person in my shop and all the jobs I am doing by myself. I don't have huge orders that I need to schedule for monts ahead. But I felt significant slow down in orders in last 2 months. Is it me or you guys felt the same?

HulkSmash

We've been wide open busy for about 2 years. After 4th of July we also slowed down for the first time... in a long while.. not dead.. but we're able to actually catch our breath throughout the day. It's kind of nice.....

but as expected things are picking back up.

FS-Keith

completely slammed. Jobs coming in from months ago that need to be done yesterday. Its a good problem to have I guess. Just wish all these construction companies would think of their sign needs before they are about to hand the project to the owner

J

john1

Never thought i would say this but things are rolling along well here.

Picked up a nice ford transit job today from a good customer of mine and am doing a direct mailer Monday of about 700 pieces to potential customers. Have to keep it rolling.

If you guys don't have a website, or if you do and have zero SEO on it, Learn it the best you can and ask questions even on here. It has literally brought my business back from the dead when people can search and find you online.

Keep your head up guys, Keep on keep'n on!

royster13

Only slows down when I am not knocking on doors.....YTD I am up about 8% over last year (and still have another week+ in August)....So I am doing just fine....

gabagoo

The last 3 weeks were somewhat slower than usual, and it is normal at this time of year, but the last few years we were very busy during the summer.

Got the call yesterday that I have to do about 30 school buses and an assortment sprinters and caravans, so that should keep us busy for a few weeks.... the phones came alive in the last 2 days, so the stress of being slow is replaced by the stress of not having enough time to do things right..... strange business for sure

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I am only person in my shop and all the jobs I am doing by myself. I don't have huge orders that I need to schedule for monts ahead. But I felt significant slow down in orders in last 2 months. Is it me or you guys felt the same?

One person or 92 people.... try to find customers to fill in the voids.

Ask yourself this.....

• How many years have you been in business ??
  • What are your normal busy times vs. slow times ??
  • What kind of business creates most of your busy time work ??
  • What other kind of signs or lettering can you make to please still more customers ??
  • Are there possible clients all around you getting signs, but not from you ??
  • Could or would you want to service them and get their money instead of someone else getting it ??
  • What are you waiting for ??
Here's how it goes. You get so much work, you have to raise your prices a little, so you don't burn yourself out working 18 hours a day. Once you get your prices up and you keep getting more work, you hire someone to help you and you keep doing this until you don't want any more people and you raise your prices again.

OlsonSigns601

Number of Jobs for me has slowed down, but I've got 4 high profile jobs going on. Most I've ever had....

I'm flat broke in the red maxed out everycard I have to get it done with the hopes of at least 1 payday coming tomorrow.

August will be my slowest but most profitable month.

wedosigns

I have been crazy busy all year and am not able to keep up. I just went from a man show to having an employee. He is quite eager to learn and is asking all the right questions. So it is a great start!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Number of Jobs for me has slowed down, but I've got 4 high profile jobs going on. Most I've ever had....

I'm flat broke in the red maxed out everycard I have to get it done with the hopes of at least 1 payday coming tomorrow.

August will be my slowest but most profitable month.

Why aren't you getting deposits to hold you over and pay for things upfront ?? Afterall, they are only financing their own job by giving a deposit, instead of using you for a bank and paying out finance charges.

signpro

Manager
we've been unusually busy for the past 12-14 months (knock on wood) up about 10-12% over last year consistantly every month. this month had a little lull, but i just got married 2 weeks ago, and had been telling the regular customers about it, and tried to get jobs done before, or asked them to wait until a week or two afterwards (which all were OK with)

we did send out some emails to past customers that we haven't heard from in a while, and did a little house cleaning, and found some extra (new) banners stands, etc and decided to do a little sale on them. we also recently started offering business cards & postcards, and those have been selling VERY well. perhaps adding something simple to your lineup (such as the biz cards or postcards) is something you could promote year-round.

also, if you know every july is slow, start some sort of "advertising" in mid june to help boost sales the following month. or just get in touch with old customers, and make a sale!! take a few fridays off and drive around and check in on those customers and see how they are doing. more often than not, you'll catch a sale!

good luck!!

HulkSmash

I've been making tons more money pricing out the smaller jobs so high that i don't get them... and if i do.. then, yay?

We're def. Handling much larger jobs than we have in the past. I don't know about you but I like bigger pay checks.

TheSnowman

I was just looking today because I had a slow down, but I'm still up about 25% over last year, so no complaints. I seem to be landing a lot of big jobs that I can't do in house, so they're good profit, and all I have to do is a lot of coordinating.

baxter gamble

We are in Alaska and business is very good. Better than I had expected considering the way the economy is these days. We are very lucky and I am very grateful for what we have.

Locals Find!

Haven't been on in a while. I am slammed. I have had more work than I can keep up with. Albeit not on the same level as many of you, but really doesn't matter. Money is flowing nicely. I am not lowballing jobs either.

My postcard sales are up, my business cards are up, and sign sales are up. I even have a lead on a couple of New builders as Real Estate inventory is low and we only have about 60 days worth right now. So builders are back to building new homes & condos again to supply the demand. Which means site signs, yard signs, and even getting calls for vehicle wraps (something I just refer out and get a commission off of.)

Also, got a Hurricane headed this way which will mean even more work replacing real estate signs that are going to get blown away.

OlsonSigns601

Why aren't you getting deposits to hold you over and pay for things upfront ?? Afterall, they are only financing their own job by giving a deposit, instead of using you for a bank and paying out finance charges.

Not sure if its one word or two

Net 30

Jillbeans

I've been busy busy after a year that was deader than Janet Reno's love life.
Still working my "real" job and squeezing signs in between.
Busiest July in my entire 27 years career.
Love.....Jill