• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does graphic card matter?

tamif

T-N-T Designs
I am looking at getting a new computer. Do I need to be dead set on a particular graphic card? I am printing on an HP Latex 315. Is there a graphic card that will show closer colors to what the printer puts out?

ikarasu

Graphic card helps with Photoshop,.but currently not much else - especially if it's a rip computer.

And no, your monitor is what matters for colors - but you have to profile your.monitor and your printer to get them to be decent matches.

Don’t cheap out on a crappy computer. Read reviews. Anything designed for and confirmed from reviews for high powered design will do perfectly.

I bought a higher-middle end Lenovo laptop that runs photoshop, illustrator, rasterlink, and versaworks perfectly. Was about a grand.

Monitor calibration is a different story.

I wrote a benchmark script for Illustrator that can be used to compare performances on different computers, (open illustrator and drag and drop an an artboard)

1662328192181.png

Attachments

• Illustrator Benchmark.zip
    1,003 bytes · Views: 135

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
If buying a brand new computer I would recommend getting one with at least a reasonably decent dedicated graphic board. Anything with an "integrated" GPU chip that sucks on system memory is something to be avoided. Prices are finally coming down on higher powered graphics boards, thanks in part to the rout in the cryptocurrency fad and supplies of graphics boards improving.

Well powered, dedicated graphics cards can do more than just play games at higher frame rates. They usually include more on-board memory, which allows one to connect more monitors and run them at higher resolutions. A computer with a cheap, integrated chip set solution may only be good for driving a single monitor, and probably at not much better than 1080p resolution at 60Hz. Dedicated graphics boards don't tax the rest of the computer system since they have their own on-board memory.

It's not necessary to buy anything that's top of the line and expensive. An RTX-3060 board or AMD Radeon 6600 xt aren't all that expensive. They're not the best for gaming, but they'll be more than enough for a RIP station running two monitors.

Parting shot: do not cheap out on the RAM. More system memory will help with processing print jobs. I wouldn't order a new Win 11 Pro box with anything less than 32GB of system memory. 64GB or more will provide a more comfortable level of RAM for graphics purposes. A NVMe SSD for the boot drive should be a must. I'm not even sure if anyone can buy a new desktop computer system without a SSD as a boot disc now. A traditional platter-based, mechanical hard disc would be good for a second hard drive, for holding print jobs.

If buying a brand new computer I would recommend getting one with at least a reasonably decent dedicated graphic board. Anything with an "integrated" GPU chip that sucks on system memory is something to be avoided. Prices are finally coming down on higher powered graphics boards, thanks in part to the rout in the cryptocurrency fad and supplies of graphics boards improving.

Well powered, dedicated graphics cards can do more than just play games at higher frame rates. They usually include more on-board memory, which allows one to connect more monitors and run them at higher resolutions. A computer with a cheap, integrated chip set solution may only be good for driving a single monitor, and probably at not much better than 1080p resolution at 60Hz. Dedicated graphics boards don't tax the rest of the computer system since they have their own on-board memory.

It's not necessary to buy anything that's top of the line and expensive. An RTX-3060 board or AMD Radeon 6600 xt aren't all that expensive. They're not the best for gaming, but they'll be more than enough for a RIP station running two monitors.

Parting shot: do not cheap out on the RAM. More system memory will help with processing print jobs. I wouldn't order a new Win 11 Pro box with anything less than 32GB of system memory. 64GB or more will provide a more comfortable level of RAM for graphics purposes. A NVMe SSD for the boot drive should be a must. I'm not even sure if anyone can buy a new desktop computer system without a SSD as a boot disc now. A traditional platter-based, mechanical hard disc would be good for a second hard drive, for holding print jobs.

Wow that "integrated GPU is bad" thing was like 700 years ago, time to update your PC game XD, Intels CPUs with integrated GPUs are much faster than most mid range GPUs

Last edited:

rjssigns

I have an iprofiler pro that I use, but it doesn't seem to help much.
As far as a new computer get an iMac. Yeah yeah I know lots of hate for Mac but the new rigs with the M1/M2 chip are rockets. Best part is you get an awesome monitor that plays well within a color managed system.

Lots of things go into a profiled workflow. A monitor is one of the areas where you spend the money. A cheap monitor from Walmart ain't gonna cut it. Hence getting an iMac.
An i1 will get a good monitor profiled but you also have to control the light in the room. Once those two conditions are met you can't adjust any settings on the monitor or the room lighting.

WildWestDesigns

Choose the graphics card for the job. A card that's geared to playing games, is not necessarily the same card that one wants. Even if one is talking about game asset creation, a lot more demand is on a card for creation compared to the low poly models that one sees in a game. So just trying to get an overload glorified game computer, while may be able to brute force it to work, may not exactly be the best most efficient one to get.

As to Macs, monitors was really about the only advantage that I see with them now. Quality for the price point actually tilts in their favor. However, there are other things that make me skiddish with getting a Mac. None of them are any type of industry specific (unless just thinking about the computing industry).

Wow that "integrated GPU is bad" thing was like 700 years ago, time to update your PC game XD, Intels CPUs with integrated GPUs are much faster than most mid range GPUs
This is absolutely not true. An i9 12900K with Intel UHD Graphics 770 (a $600, less than 1 year old processor) has much lower benchmark scores than an nVidia GTX 1050, a low-end 6 year old dedicated card.

If Intel's CPUs with integrated GPUs are faster than most mid range GPUs then why did Intel just release an entire line of mid-range GPUs?

It's much better in recent years, but it in no way replaces a dedicated graphics card.

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

2B

get a dedicated GPU, and one that allows multiple monitors.
I prefer a 3 monitor configuration

This is absolutely not true. An i9 12900K with Intel UHD Graphics 770 (a $600, less than 1 year old processor) has much lower benchmark scores than an nVidia GTX 1050, a low-end 6 year old dedicated card.

If Intel's CPUs with integrated GPUs are faster than most mid range GPUs then why did Intel just release an entire line of mid-range GPUs?

It's much better in recent years, but it in no way replaces a dedicated graphics card.
Okay, the GTX 1050 is the same price as a i5-12400 fair comparison

unmateria

No, you dont need a great graphic card for a rip or colour fidelity. You need a good monitor (dont need an eizo, a good dell ultrasharp from ebay will do)... An i1 pro (i have all models since like 15 years without any problem with all kind of software), and learn to know how to watch the proofs (i suggest photoshop with calibrated and profiled monitor with ICC for each ink sets, vynil/paper and lightning you have).

Resume: buy a good monitor, buy An i1 pro, buy a d50 and d65 bulbs (and dont mix lights in the same proof room) and learn to use them. The graphic card is not important at all... We have 9000€ pcs and my main proofs rip is a years old 2700k with an intel 4000 lol. The important is the drivers dont mess with the lut tables like in some old NVIDIA drivers... So for the purpose you want, you are better with basic (not gaming, no quadros) gpus.

For monitor I have some good 1500€+ eizos, some old mitsubishis, hitachis... And some under 200€ displays (all garbage like benq, hp, etc)... And I suggest you dell ultrasharp (around 300-400 for a 24" and 600-800 for 27, wich is better too). They mantain the calibration during months, and in the 27"... Years... They are stupidly good for the price (warning... Just for proofing)... In eBay sometimes are like 300€ for the 27" and 200 for the 24. Be carefull because with the ultrasharp name there are low end (and bad) displays from dell (i bought a 100€ one and is not like the high end at all)