• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does Latex fades?

MiguelGonzalez

Hello guys, never own/have experience with a latex printer before, all I know is that the scratch resistivity is far superior to an eco-solvent. So I was wondering how latex ink without lamination holds up against sun and rain or even against rubbing, like for stickers in the back of a phone compared to an eco-solvent.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It holds up better against rubbing but anything that has constant contact should be automatically laminated. There's no way around it. Just average sun and rain but no contact, it should hold up 3 years with no lam.
Some UV may be better and you might get away without lam.

Back of a phone in your pocket, it's constantly in contact it just needs lam. If I had to guess it's week and half of it is gone without it.

MiguelGonzalez

It holds up better against rubbing but anything that has constant contact should be automatically laminated. There's no way around it. Just average sun and rain but no contact, it should hold up 3 years with no lam.
Some UV may be better and you might get away without lam.

Back of a phone in your pocket, it's constantly in contact it just needs lam. If I had to guess it's week and half of it is gone without it.
So there is not much advantage against eco-solvent in case of longevity for decals/stickers?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
So there is not much advantage against eco-solvent in case of longevity for decals/stickers?
There is but it's not like it's some amazing ink that needs no lam at all.
Get some samples, rub them, put one in your pocket... You will see.

For decal/sticker you probably want ecosolvent anyway if you want good small details and less grain.

karst41

Hello guys, never own/have experience with a latex printer before, all I know is that the scratch resistivity is far superior to an eco-solvent. So I was wondering how latex ink without lamination holds up against sun and rain or even against rubbing, like for stickers in the back of a phone compared to an eco-solvent.

Holds up better against rubbing?? This is relative to what? being that you can not answer the What your claim is total BS,
and I went to one of the demos with Curly making the same claim. So I walked up to the printer, and my fingernails scratched it
just as easy as any solvents. So yeah ol Curly quickly moved on.

Now to answer the Question from a real user who knows the cost of 180 and 8519 lam.

Yes the Latex Inks are Superb when Laminated with Premium UV Laminates.
I make Graphics for fleet and there are 14 year old Semi Trailers that park with the Rear doors facing the West Sun.
Color is roughly 3/40+/100/2. This is a very healthy dose of Magenta.

After 14 Years the color is about a %6 fade. Are You F N kidding Me ?? IK R
Solvents are basically going down hill after 5 years.

3M has a 7 year MCS Warranty with the following:
3M IJ 180 cv3 with HP 831A Latex Inks that are Laminated with 8519 Laminate. Includes the Glossy and Matte Versions
of the Over Lam.
Being Said My warranty ramps up to 10 years. Why? Because Its the Best warranty in town.

I do not Trust Avery, Arlon, or OraCarp. To many instances of poor quality and then media replacement.
If you get a bad roll of 3m (you wont) from Reece Supply, Reece is going to back you Up. Immediately.

Do NOT waste your money or time with Eco Solvents. Maint cost are very high.

Get an HP 365 NEW. A brand new Printer goes a long way before you have a scheduled Maint.
The Consumables are Dirt Cheap. Everything is roughly $140. Inks Printheads Maint Cart.

Plus You do not Need Air Purifiers as you do with Solvent Machines.
Do NOT Buy Used !
Get a new one in the crate,, New and no Maint cost recovers that extra cost real quick.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Holds up better against rubbing?? This is relative to what? being that you can not answer the What your claim is total BS,
and I went to one of the demos with Curly making the same claim. So I walked up to the printer, and my fingernails scratched it
just as easy as any solvents. So yeah ol Curly quickly moved on.

Now to answer the Question from a real user who knows the cost of 180 and 8519 lam.

Yes the Latex Inks are Superb when Laminated with Premium UV Laminates.
I make Graphics for fleet and there are 14 year old Semi Trailers that park with the Rear doors facing the West Sun.
Color is roughly 3/40+/100/2. This is a very healthy dose of Magenta.

After 14 Years the color is about a %6 fade. Are You F N kidding Me ?? IK R
Solvents are basically going down hill after 5 years.

3M has a 7 year MCS Warranty with the following:
3M IJ 180 cv3 with HP 831A Latex Inks that are Laminated with 8519 Laminate. Includes the Glossy and Matte Versions
of the Over Lam.
Being Said My warranty ramps up to 10 years. Why? Because Its the Best warranty in town.

I do not Trust Avery, Arlon, or OraCarp. To many instances of poor quality and then media replacement.
If you get a bad roll of 3m (you wont) from Reece Supply, Reece is going to back you Up. Immediately.

Do NOT waste your money or time with Eco Solvents. Maint cost are very high.

Get an HP 365 NEW. A brand new Printer goes a long way before you have a scheduled Maint.
The Consumables are Dirt Cheap. Everything is roughly $140. Inks Printheads Maint Cart.

Plus You do not Need Air Purifiers as you do with Solvent Machines.
Do NOT Buy Used !
Get a new one in the crate,, New and no Maint cost recovers that extra cost real quick.
I think you have to look at the calendar again. L25500 wasn't even sold yet 14 years ago.