• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does PVC Board warp inside a building?

0igo

A customer of mine wants Huge Letters, mounted to the wall inside his warehouse. I'm debating if I should use a 3mm ACP or PVC boards inside. I like the fact that my sign Supply sells colored pvc so I don't need to do any painting, but I have yet to read if a CNC cut PVC Board will warp. Letters range from 4ft tall to 5 or 6 ft wide.

Also I've never cut PVC boards on my CNC, will a straight bit be okay to use on pvc or should I stick to ACP lol

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
If its being mounted directly to the exterior curtain wall, I think they might warp at that size.

I'd use ACM, throughbolt it, and leave about a 1/4" bigger hole for the bolt to account for expansion on the metal ribs.

*edit
And then sell him an exterior wall sign to cover up the nuts on the outside

0igo

If its being mounted directly to the exterior curtain wall, I think they might warp at that size.

I'd use ACM, throughbolt it, and leave about a 1/4" bigger hole for the bolt to account for expansion on the metal ribs.

*edit
And then sell him an exterior wall sign to cover up the nuts on the outside

It's going up mounted on the side wall inside his warehouse shop. Not much sun will hit it but it does get hot in there.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
FYI...
Eglin Air Force Base McKinley Climatic Lab is used to test various equipment, aircraft, tires etc has a temperature range from −80 °F (−62 °C) to 140 °F (60 °C).

140° F + pvc = tremendous warpage

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
3mm? Something that thin, but that large makes me wonder. 3mm (or even 6mm) adds little to the look. Why does it have to be dimensional?

Why not paint it?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If its a warehouse it's probably ribbed.

Maybe in Florida... in California, we are mostly concrete/tilt up...

Though you can still paint ribbed...

If it is ribbed, don't use 3mm PVC, if ribbed, I would make 3 rails, attach them to the wall, then attach the letters to that.

Last edited:

rossmosh

Go with ACM or 12mm PVC.

12mm PVC is an underrated material in smaller sign shops. For larger companies doing retail interior signs, it's one of the most popular materials to use. If cut some "washers" out of the waste material and glue it to the back, you can get very cheap but effective offset look. Obviously location and line of site matters.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
You do know there is outdoor rated PVC sheet right? Palight comes to mind.