• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does size matter?

cOrKinSA

As some of you know I am getting a 63" Summa D160 SE and although I am getting it a good deal just how often will I use that much cutting area? The max we ever went was 45" but what is the most cutting space you needed and how often do you guys cut that large?
For what example of jobs do you do that require that much cutting room?

Pro Image

I rarely use my 48in the full width unless Im doing a one color coro or signbond sign...........Now the 30 and the 24 all the time.......The 48in I use it to contour cut and I use 36in material Its not as heavy to load as the 48in rolls.....

Letterbox Mike

We have an S160D and use that width quite often. Our printer is only a 54" but we do on occasion get the opportunity to cut some larger vinyl for other sign companies. It's tough/rare to find regular vinyl wider than 48" but it is out there. Last month for example we cut 2 150' rolls of 60" brushed aluminum vinyl for a competitor because they couldn't cut that big. If the deal is right, go for it. You won't use it every day, but if you market it right, you'll probably pick up enough work elsewhere to justify it.

cOrKinSA

That what I figured as far as contour cutting. Plus I never heard anyone say "Damn I should have bought the smaller one.".
Well unless when your paying at pump!

RSR571

We use our 54" cutter for contour cutting mostly, since we went digital we hardly ever cut larger than 30" vinyl.

cOrKinSA

*Update*
After having my order ready to be shipped on monday (16th) with a 4-5 day delivery, I decided to call today and find out when I should be expecting it, but only to now find out it wont be arriving until the 26 or 27th.
I know I should have called and babysit the the order but I really thought they would have there operations together.
I knew something was going to be wrong when he told me from the begining that shipping was going to be free and all I could vision was seeing a little boy pulling a burro with a plotter strapped on its back while walking down the side of the road bound for Texas.

Last edited:

cOrKinSA

Well I just got the Summa in yesterday (Thursday) and it was missing the stand and the basket but Drew from the Sales Rep department is doing a great job in getting me what I need. If you guys ever need to order anything from Summa I recommend you give Drew Groshong a call. Time to rock and roll!!!