• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does this reek of Scam?

FatCat

Got this email this morning. Haven't replied back yet, but the generic content, poor grammer and vague details leave me thinking this is a new type of scam. I would rather not reply at all at this point.

What say ye fellow s'101-ers?

Good day ,

My name is Doctor William David, i will like to order SIGN,below is the specification of my inquiry:

Details:
size: 20 X 16 Coroplast
wording( HEALTH CARE HOSPITAL )(both double sides).
number of colors needed:TWO color(" WHITE & BLACK ").
quantity 300

I want the color of the sign should be Black and the color of the Art Work Should Be White, kindly email me with the total picked up price for this sizes , I will like to know the terms or forms of payment you accept Kindly respond to me as soon as possible for us to proceed.

Thank You.
Dr.William

:popcorn:

CES020

Total scam.

I'm not familiar with too many doctors that order their own coroplast signs.

I got one yesterday from a guy that listed himself as a Dr., but it was a Dr. that was in the military. They wouldn't be able to pick up the items because they were currently stationed out of the area, but if I told them the arrangements, they could paypal me the money.

Dirtbags, even using the military as a ploy now.

I would think someone that is a doctor would have better grammar then that guy. But I can't see how trying to get a quote for some signs could be a scam. I'd say half money up front to cover your materials and if he provides payment make the signs.

OlsonSigns601

scam

reply with any price and they qill say great and give you a lame excuse why they cannot pick up the signs them selves then ask you to charge it to their credit card.

Im not sure how they get money off this but they seem to try it with me at least once a month.

Marlene

maybe he wants to put the coroplast signs next to the ones for the "ophan aid" red on white signs I was asked to make...

CES020

I would think someone that is a doctor would have better grammar then that guy. But I can't see how trying to get a quote for some signs could be a scam. I'd say half money up front to cover your materials and if he provides payment make the signs.

That's the scam. They pay with stolen accounts, so you get the money, you sell the product and then you get a charge back on your bank account once it all works it's way through the system. So they get the product, you get nothing.

I'm not sure what they do with the product, but I guess they sell it somewhere, to someone and pocket the cash.

fairwayray

I once, knowing it was a scam, replied to one and gave them a quote. They wanted to use a credit card for the $12,000 order and have me send them a rebate via western union immediately. Said they would have someone pick them up. I told them that I would need half to start and the balance on delivery in the form of a cashiers check, no credit cards, no rebate.
That is when they hung up.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We get about one a day. Got one today to "STOP CHILD LABOR"

We don't even bother because even if it's not a scam, they are not a member of the trade, so we wouldn't sell to them anyway.

Still not sure how they make any money on it though. How much could they really sell generic "STOP CHILD LABOR" signs for even if they don't have any cost?

I feel like there's more to it, maybe further down the scam they get you to invest some cash into the deal as a refund or whatnot.

MakeMyGraphic

Wow... this is the first time I've heard of something like this for people in the industry! what the heck?! I've also never heard of any medical facility or building needing more than even 10 signs! 300 is just reeking! I can smell it all the way to Southern California!

Billct2

It's not about the signs, it's about the fake credit card payment that they overpay with and then need a rebate for orsomething along those lines.
how can anyone seriously think this is for real?
Thereare more sophisticated scams going on...any unverified solicitation from the web should automatically be suspect.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
The scam is this...

They order goods. You produce these goods. They pay with a stolen CC / fake bank draft whatever.

But...... (this is where the scam is) -- they claim at time of payment that the party/agent picking them up requires cash so, they will add this amount to what they pay you for the goods. Then you are supposed to cash the bankdraft and have the cash available for the "agent" doing the pickup.

Thats it.

They don't care about the signs, they will probably just dump them somewhere.

The cash you gave the agent is their take for all of their efforts.

e.g.

The order may be billed at, say, $3,000. They will send you or pay you, say, $4,200 with instructions to either mail or transfer to the agent or cash pickup for the agent the $1,200. Or some variant of this.

When the bank draft or the CC is reversed, you are out $4,200 and they are ahead $1,200 and hell, they might not even bother to pick up the goods if you sent a money order to the "agent" for the $1,200.

slappy

don't you guys have a website traffic info embedded into your site?
If you do, i use sitemeter for instance, i can look at what time i got that email from my email account, go into sitemeter and look at who from where was on my site and what they're last outgoing link was clicked on my site.

so, if at 12:08 am i get a email like that, i look and see who was on my site at 12:08 that clicked on the email link. Then i see, Africa, Romaina or Estonia or something and play it from there. I know no-one is ordering signs from me from there, so i might have some fun with replying them since i know their location.

oooh, and most of the time they got my web page through doing a search on yellowpages or yellowbook for sign shops. Sitemeter gives me the referral link they clicked on to how they found my site also

SD&F

These are usually paid for using stolen credit cards as well. They can either do the rabate as spoken of above, or get the order and then when the owner notices the fraud you are left with no product or $$$$

Mark S. Adams

I got the same email this morning. I always try to get them to waste their time responding to my "drunk" style of replies. I got one of them so perturbed they threatened to send a virus to my computer and wipe me out. I was shaken' in my booties.

:toasting::bushmill::toasting:

Mark S. Adams

704signs

Looks like we are all bidding against each other for this job, I got the same email the other day. Gonna have to pass on this one...lol