• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Doing business with the state of NJ

CrAkD

There are rules, codes and policies set in place for a reason. Some to protect your neighbors from a horrible business setting up next door to you or to prevent traffic hazards when manufacturer Turing out of your bouse. Many people commit insurance fraud when something happens and want the insurance company to pay for their home-based business which was never properly set up. There are many things a legit business owner must do, whether he/she are operating out of a bedroom, basement or separate building, but they do it.

This OP was asking questions, sounding like he didn'twant to abide by the same rules the rest of us do.. So, you, he and some others instantly junp on others who knows and is trying to correct his wrong thinking. Starting somewhere, working from home and the other omplaints you all have mentioned are just emotional outbursts, cause you know you're in the wrong and you're trying to justify being wrong.

So now, I'd like to ask you a simple question, if I may.

You go into a store, mosey around and pick up a roll of scotch tape, put it in your pocket and leave the store. What did you just do ??

Some of us are LEGALLY working out of our homes. The sense of entitlement in this thread is maddening. Someone actually suggested the OP Should refer the work to a real sign shop. I hate to break it to you guys but it's a free country. Anyone can start a business with as little overhead as they want they can also charge whatever they want or need to get by. It may break some of your rules of 10x material cost and first born business practices. That's life. Change with the times or get left behind.

catldavis

There are rules, codes and policies set in place for a reason. Some to protect your neighbors from a horrible business setting up next door to you or to prevent traffic hazards when manufacturer Turing out of your bouse. Many people commit insurance fraud when something happens and want the insurance company to pay for their home-based business which was never properly set up. There are many things a legit business owner must do, whether he/she are operating out of a bedroom, basement or separate building, but they do it.

This OP was asking questions, sounding like he didn'twant to abide by the same rules the rest of us do.. So, you, he and some others instantly junp on others who knows and is trying to correct his wrong thinking. Starting somewhere, working from home and the other omplaints you all have mentioned are just emotional outbursts, cause you know you're in the wrong and you're trying to justify being wrong.

So now, I'd like to ask you a simple question, if I may.

You go into a store, mosey around and pick up a roll of scotch tape, put it in your pocket and leave the store. What did you just do ??

With all due respect, maybe you should go back and read the thread. The third comment suggested he should just to turn the work over to a full time shop. So when you say, "So, you, he and some others instantly junp on others who knows and is trying to correct his wrong thinking." I think you might have that backwards.

When you said "Many people commit insurance fraud when something happens and want the insurance company to pay for their home-based business which was never properly set up.", where did you get that information from? Exactly how many commit fraud?

I certainly don't understand your analogy. The OP was asking how he can do it legally. I'm not sure how you equate that to stealing from a store? I think a better analogy would be him stating that a requirement for his work is to have a car registered in his name but he will never drive it since he has a company car. He then asks a bunch of greedy insurance salesmen what's the minimum insurance he needs to carry to be legal but not to waste money.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Suffice it to say...... if you wanna read stoopid, then you'll think and talk stoopid.

I don't see how the three of you are so far off base ??

Where did anyone say anything about attorneys, drawing up papers, costing thousands or any of the other stuff you're adding to this thread ??

After dancing a bit, the OP back pedaled and said he wanted to do it legitamately, but he wanted to do it his way. He has sent up more red flags in one thread, then the normal person wanting to open a shop/home business. The two of you wallflowers is just more evidence of this new generation as you put it, trying to get into something without paying any dues, overhead or much of anything else. You have the mentality, that's it's yours for the picking. Unlike the two of you, I have well over 45 or more years in this business. I have seen tenfold your numbers try to do something, slip & slide and expect others to bail your sorry butt out. For everyone of you that barely make it....... 50 fall by the wayside. What's the common denominator ?? You thought you deserve it and not go through proper channels to stay on top of your game.

Me..... I'm trying to help this guy, mainly cause he served his country. He seems confused and you two are just clouding his mind with your negativity towards his becoming a business.

It would be one thing, if he was helping the fire and police departments, but he wants more than they'll offer, so he has to go through the channels anyone else would hafta do, unless you are going to do it illegally.

Billct2

Setting up an LLC and getting the right license from the state doesn't have to cost thousands. It sure didn't cost me that and I used a lawyer. The advantage of the LLC is the layer of protection it offers if you get sued. Also the state/fed registrations are almost always a requirement from municipal and corporate clients to be a vendor, as is insurance.

catldavis

Suffice it to say...... if you wanna read stoopid, then you'll think and talk stoopid.

I don't see how the three of you are so far off base ??

Where did anyone say anything about attorneys, drawing up papers, costing thousands or any of the other stuff you're adding to this thread ??

After dancing a bit, the OP back pedaled and said he wanted to do it legitamately, but he wanted to do it his way. He has sent up more red flags in one thread, then the normal person wanting to open a shop/home business. The two of you wallflowers is just more evidence of this new generation as you put it, trying to get into something without paying any dues, overhead or much of anything else. You have the mentality, that's it's yours for the picking. Unlike the two of you, I have well over 45 or more years in this business. I have seen tenfold your numbers try to do something, slip & slide and expect others to bail your sorry butt out. For everyone of you that barely make it....... 50 fall by the wayside. What's the common denominator ?? You thought you deserve it and not go through proper channels to stay on top of your game.

Me..... I'm trying to help this guy, mainly cause he served his country. He seems confused and you two are just clouding his mind with your negativity towards his becoming a business.

It would be one thing, if he was helping the fire and police departments, but he wants more than they'll offer, so he has to go through the channels anyone else would hafta do, unless you are going to do it illegally.

You know as much about me as I know about you, nothing. You don't know how long I've been in the business, what experience I have, or anything else. Much like the statement about insurance fraud, you make a lot of generalizations but don't know any specifics.

The way I read the OP's initial question was HE was contacted by the jurisdiction he used to work for to do a limited number of cars/boats. In fact, his very first line is this: Ok I'll start by saying I don't really plan on opening a business I have a good paying job and don't have time to go full out.

He simply asked what was the minimum that he would need to LEGALLY do the graphics on a few vehicles. Best I can tell, they haven't offered him a full or part time job. That's when a few decided he was the unwashed and unclean since he didn't want to invest in a full shop and go full time.

Willmac1.wm

You know as much about me as I know about you, nothing. You don't know how long I've been in the business, what experience I have, or anything else. Much like the statement about insurance fraud, you make a lot of generalizations but don't know any specifics.

The way I read the OP's initial question was HE was contacted by the jurisdiction he used to work for to do a limited number of cars/boats. In fact, his very first line is this: Ok I'll start by saying I don't really plan on opening a business I have a good paying job and don't have time to go full out.

He simply asked what was the minimum that he would need to LEGALLY do the graphics on a few vehicles. Best I can tell, they haven't offered him a full or part time job. That's when a few decided he was the unwashed and unclean since he didn't want to invest in a full shop and go full time.

You hit the nail on the head thank you. Years past they would hire me as a part time employee and they can't pay a part time any more than 12.50 an hour. So for me it's not worth my time any more to make that little money. What would a sign shop charge a city to cut out weed mask clean and install a police package on 4 cars and two boats. Normally it's only two cars and one boat every year and maybe a few odds and ends like the fire chiefs new car last year. And posibbly remove old graphics from two cars the shop installed them self and messed up. if your willing to come to NJ and do all that work for that kind of money I'll pass along your number.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yep, you guys know it all, I forgot.

I don't know what you're thinking or anything about you and the same for me. But your very next statement says...... the way I read the OPs initial question...... so you and he can read each others minds and you both hit the nail on the head, but no one else can do tnis. Riiiight.

Okay, i got your little game figured out. As long as we all agree with you, give you the answers you want..... we're all good, huh ??

So, I wouldn't fill out anything and just tell them you'll do each car for $150. No questions..... no nothing. That gives you 2 hours to do a car plus money for the vinyl and tape. Wa-a-a-ay better than $12.50 an hour, I'll bet. Don't know what the boats are worth. When they write out the check, make it payable to your wife, cause you don't wanna do anything wrong.
Good luck.........:rock-n-roll:

Willmac1.wm

You know you were an amazing help thank you. I asked what's the right way to go about it and expected an educated answer like file for a sole proprietorship using your own name and SSN on the states Web page then file a BRC. Claim taxes as extra income. Or maybe read this article that I found when I was starting out. Or maybe the only right way to do it is file for a LLC and FEIN and that's the only way to do busness with a state run organization and file the taxes separate. Or maybe " hey when I did a state or government job I had this problem and having my busness set up this way really helped me out."
Little did I know by the example set by some of you the only way to run a busness is be an *** hole and bash every one trying to gain some knowledge from people who have been there before. God forbid I try to earn some money doing something I enjoy doing but don't want to open a full overhead with thousands in equipment and store front. There were only a few real responses that were even directed to my question. And you want to call me a thief or scam. I just wanted to know what is the right way to go about it. Thanks for your time I found my answer else where from a group more helpful and less bitter than some on here.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're quite welcome. Amazing help for amazing questions.

I almost feel sorry for you, but then I forget, you already know it all through another group. Care to enlighten us and explain what your other friends have you doing.... or will this remain top secret, too ??

You ask about the most simplest questions there is regardless of what you wanna do...... and you can't figure it out.

The answer has been given to you on the first and second post right here, by a respected business person. Others chimed in on how to do it. You just don't like the truth and if you wanna go around blaming me or others on this site for your shortsightesdness, that's on you, not us. You have your priorities all screwed up, but hey.....who are we to judge ?? We don't know you.......just a 1,000 others exactly like you.

One thing, I really meant thank you for your service. So, don't get that all f* ked up and crosswisred in your thinking, too.