• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Doing my first race car wrap

dirttoo

I have a new Mimaki CJV and I'm doing my first race car wrap. I have been doing this guys car with cut vinyl for the last 5 years and now we are going to wrap it. I have a couple questions I hope someone can help with. I would like to know what material to use. Oracal ???? or ?. Does this need laminated. It is for a dirt modified and will get torn up quickly. Does laminate protect enough in that kind of environment or is it a waste of time and money. Please help with material suggestions. Thanks

ova

Those guys are all about cheap. Since it's a mostly flat surface and will get torn up, I use 3165 with 290 lam. [because I'm too lazy to change the lam for one job]

Main reason I even lam is to save the print if they have a oil leak and have to wipe the car down with an aggressive cleaner.

Dave

TheSnowman

Most of my "race car guys" are so cheap that they want removable adhesive vinyl with no laminate because it's the cheapest cost. Unreal, but whatever...makes it easier when they come in with low expectations I guess.

Of course, they all pay more in the end because of the "difficulty factor" and no way is my name going on the car.

J

john1

Could do the concept automark as it's a cheaper wrap vinyl and cheap is what race car guys want.

acothran

Could do the concept automark as it's a cheaper wrap vinyl and cheap is what race car guys want.

+1 for General Formulations Automark Concept 230 vinyl w/ 231 laminate.

Personally, I never wanted to wrap a vehicle (even a dirt car) with a vinyl that is not recommended for vehicles. I've used a ton of Oracal 3165RA w/ 210 laminate for signs and such but it is not recommended for vehicle applications. I always told the customer what vinyl I used and I never wanted them to find the Oracal tech sheet for 3165RA and see "NOT for vehicle graphics or wraps". The GF Automark is specifically for vehicle wraps/graphics and not far off in price from 3165RA/210, if you shop around.

Allen

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's Alive.jpg

Wraps ink

I would use 3M 1j35c-10 with the cheapest lam you can find all those panels are gonna be flat and the 3M has the comply adhesive so its an easy install and it's cheap

ScrapWrapper

We use the concept automark with cheapest lam. Often our guy want Fluorescent color Vinyl too. Concept automark, Cut Fluorescent color Vinyl and them Lam.

Just Me

Oracal 3640 / 200 lam download the profiles off of the oracal website you'll be happy with the colors and price:wink:

Mosh

here is my advice. Have them bring the panel into you shop. Wrap them and them BEFORE they go on the car. I do 20-30 cars a year, this is the way do do it my friend!