Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Doll/toy wraps

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Awesome Graphics, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Awesome Graphics

Awesome Graphics Member

Sep 26, 2019
    Vermont
    Has anyone had success applying vinyl to anything like dolls or toys? My niece is wanting to turn her American Girl doll (Josephine) into a Juggalo. I'm considering using print/cut to do the face art, but would layered wrap film be more effective, since Juggalo face paint is usually (I think) only 2-3 colors?

Tags:
  2. Troy Lesher

Troy Lesher Merchant Member

May 23, 2018
    Texas
    Hydro Dip it.

3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Unless you have some sorta ink and vinyl which is safe for kids to chew on, I don't think it's a good idea to put vinyl, ink or adhesive on children's toys.

4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'm more worried about my kids playing with my old toys with paint chipping off than some vinyl. Then I get to thinking about the old school painted metal doll house toys the grandparents let them play with, and all the lead paint on those. I think a doll's face would be fine...
    I printed this about 4-5 years ago for my daughter's walker trainer toy, and it's held up surprisingly well. It's lived outside over half it's life. Printed on Arlon 6000X (XRP is the same, just different backing material, X was easier to plot stuff on) and laminated with Arlon 3220. Printed with L25500.
    I've been curious about printing onto the hydrodip-able film, but never found any good information on it.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      822.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      4 MB
      Views:
  5. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Also, this would be awesome! Do post pictures if you do it. You may have a harder time with a smaller area, and depending if it's that rubbery type of plastic that barbie heads are made of.

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Those are all true and very long ago. The OP is really talking about materials, inks and whatnot of today. What you did on that scooter, I doubt a kid could wrap their teeth into that, but a doll's head..... just a place for a youngster to bite or chew on. Just something to think about, before one goes off doing something dangerous.

7. Jburns

Jburns Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Denver
    I think the OP needs to use best judgement.

So American Dolls are for older kids - right? no necessarily for toddlers- but if a toddler is in the house I would be more cautious

8. Jester

Jester Slow is Fast

Dec 2, 2019
    SoCal