• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

don't beat me up too bad

Pat Whatley

Hire a professional.

Do this. Or spend a whole lot more time doing research before you start designing. Start studying logos that work and figure out why they work. Steal ideas, steal concepts, steal methods....don't copy them, just take from them the things that work and incorporate them into your mental arsenal. You should have a pretty good idea in your head of what you want to do before you ever sit down at the computer. Heck, if every "designer" would go back to starting with a pencil and a sketchbook the quality of design work would increase overnight.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Now that you have a better name, try a whole new direction [pun coincindental]. Here's a crude 4 minute exercise...

Attachments

• test_logo.jpg
    test_logo.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 87

visual800

Nope your still mixing fonts that do not compliment sir

Attachments

• Untitled [Converted].jpg
    Untitled [Converted].jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 92

artbot

EXETRMELY BAD. that logo will send business running down the street to a competitor. novice or pro, always educate yourself on what has worked in the past. so, first just google "extreme logo" and you get about 1000 logos made using the word extreme.

the ability thing is another issue. don't design it OR ANYTHING for the next year. these guys that knock out 10 sharp looking designs in less than an hour have been doing this work for decades. let them put money in your pocket. become a graphics pro gracefully behind the scenes. and a year is cutting it short. there's just too much to learn, and understand in less than five years about what a good design requires.

Jillbeans

Hooray for Bob finally posting a nice suggestion!
Yours are both still pretty awful.
You're arching a casual font now, which is just as against the rules as with a script.
You're using two "display" typefaces in the same layout.
...and they're both pretty nasty.
In the middle of the night, I thought of using the shape of PA as a background but in the early morning light, I'd say it was a bad idea.
You need to buy some books on layout and logos, or truly, sub out your layouts (ahem) to someone (ahem) who could help you.
PS
what the hell is that eye thing for?

ExtremeGFX

I usually do have someone do the design for me for things like this, I just thought I would give it a try. I really wanted to do my own logo but odviously it will take me a lot of work to get it down. For now I will stick wih subbing it out and I will use some of the people on this site as some of you are very talented.

SIGNTIME

We went through the same thing you are going through, our company name was All Signz and we created our own logo. The logo was awful which at the time we though looked good (I have since deleted any and all files of it). We tried a few other times at new logos which were getting a little bit better and we started a thread to get feedback and opinions.... in the end we changed the name to All Signs and hired Jill to create our logo. When we have customers that don't have a logo we sub out the design work to Jill as we don't feel comfortable selling our customers inferior designs. We also bought the book Mastering Layout on the art of eye appeal by Mike Stevens and have been following threads like yours on our slow time to try to learn as much possible on designing..... hire a professional and learn as much from them as possible.

Attachments

• profile pic.jpg
    profile pic.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 83

ICeMAnAbk

It's funny. Can have the answer for everyone else, but you're usually your own worst critic. My original Logo I settled for a ink spatter with the company name in it. Nothing too fancy, easy to put anywhere, usually looked like a small mistake on a sign til you got close and read the company name.

Don't get too wild. I must of made 20 different logos for myself to say majority of them, blew. Few I liked, but a few of those even I decided against because they were too complex or the feel/look of it wasn't the exact kind of image I wanted to set for myself.

What I settled with was something that could be viewed in 1 color or 2 colors. The simplicity is key I think.... Look at most of the logos for corperations. I'd say majority of them have a 1 or 2 color version. Clean, crisp, easily read. I agree with a few posts in here, the rage look is obnoxious and overdone. It's cool if you want to do race car lettering your whole life, but it's probably going to turn away business professionals like realtors for example. Seems most people who pay the bills in the shop, want simplicity.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
the worst part is I let other people talk me in to the Extreme Graphics name. My favorite idea was East Penn Graphics but a few people told me it was dull and Extreme was better. I have to give it some ore thought i guess.

Those people were idiots. East Penn Graphics will grow with you.

Otherwise you would have to justify to people time after time why your work is so eXtreme. ... and why would you want your name to be something that every highschool kid with his cracked version of photoshop things is a great name for a graphics company.

Marlene

I really like the East Penn name...so much more classic.

I like it too. pick a nice strong looking font and for now, just use a font for your logo. you could go with a regualr weight for the East Penn and a bold for the word signs. keep it simple for now until you can hire someone to design it for you. not everyone is a designer and there's no shame in that. the shame is when a bad logo is used as it can kill your business fast.

SignManiac

I like it too. pick a nice strong looking font and for now, just use a font for your logo. you could go with a regualr weight for the East Penn and a bold for the word signs. keep it simple for now until you can hire someone to design it for you. not everyone is a designer and there's no shame in that. the shame is when a bad logo is used as it can kill your business fast.

+1