Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just In Don't cha just hate when this happens.........................

Discussion in 'Electric Signs & Channel Letters' started by Gino, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Tags:
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Lucky no one got squished. Looks like the lift points ripped out.

3. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    some days are better than others

4. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Oh boy...I would hate to be those guys! :(

5. I hope they were taking that sign down and not putting it up :covereyes:

6. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    So what's the lesson? If it's an old rusty sign, run straps around the entire thing?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    it was being removed to be refurbished, and yeah, they attached the crane to a rusty part which broke under the load.

8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    No, make sure the poles are cut entirely and not to use your crane as a pulley system to break or snap steel.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Oohhh, I see that now. That's not smart

• Like Like x 1
  10. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    It looks like the crane strap broke. Glad no one was injured.

11. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yup, saw that and was thinking the same thing before I read your response - just a little bit of steel left and not cut through all the way. Looks like their bucket truck probably took some damage on the passenger side...ouch.

12. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    Ugh. That just makes my stomach turn watching that video. Not because it's stupid vertical video either.:D

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  13. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    This is sheer laziness. He totaled a sign instead of taking the extra 3 minutes to boom over and see what was hanging up. I wonder if he was training the other guy in the basket, otherwise why were there two of them in there, and perhaps he figured the trainee had made a sloppy cut, but that the slag would give way. This isn't the crane operators fault, but he should have noticed the crane had the weight of half the sign already, and the other half was pulling his boom down...
    This reminds me of one of my first experiences with rope load line vs cable. We had a cabinet hang up half way down a pipe, so they pushed and pulled and finally gave up and figured on doing some more cutting/grinding on the pipe. I watched this sign come unstuck, after about 12" of load line had been winched in with no movement, and it suddenly shot up 2' and came back down 4" above where it started, which was about 5" above my installers head... I was on the ground and I ducked, he barely noticed.

14. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'd personally blow holes in the pipe, near the top, so a large shackle could fit it. It's hard to pull the pipe in two (see above video!) and tends to be the heaviest part, so if anything does give way or get hung up, you shouldn't have the majority of the weight falling. Otherwise, knocking a hole in the face and putting a strap all the way through the frame is a safe bet, just make certain you're not going to cut your strap on sharp edges.
    It's almost always better to cut the pipe free of the sign, as opposed to cutting the pipe and carrying both to the ground. I've seen some weld jobs that were just enough to keep the sign from freespinning on the pole. In those cases you could end up with a pipe dropping out of a sign in mid air...

15. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Take the sign to a detail shop, looks like it'll buff out.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 5
  16. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Looks like the bottom cabnet will need to be reworked too.

17. XtremeXccessories

XtremeXccessories Member

May 18, 2012
    Layton, UT
    I like how the guy in the bucket raised the cutting torch up like it was a lightsaber that he could use to cut the sign in half in case it was going to hit him.

• Like Like x 2