Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dont kno what to get!-

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by John362, Mar 5, 2007.

1. John362

John362 New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    alright im new to this whole thing amd i am wondering what to get
    i am a helmet painter and i would like to get a plotter to make just little names and numbers and some design stuff to help me finish the helmets faste.
    i have adobe illustrator but i am wondering what other software i need to cut vynil
    and i have also been looking at the roland stika sv-15????
    what do yall think????

thanks
    john362

Tags:
  2. High Octane

High Octane Active Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Fenton, Michigan
    If you buy the Stika the software you got should work just fine....

3. John362

John362 New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    would i just have to export to the software that comes with it from illustrator?

and do u know if the stika is good?
    because i will mainly be using specialty vynils like the engine turded gold and diamond plate ect.....

4. cdiesel

cdiesel Very Active Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I believe the stika is a stepper machine. I'd say spend a few extra bucks and get a servo motor plotter. It'll operate smoother, and I imagine you doing a lot of small stuff. Small and smooth cuts are easier to work with.

5. Creative_Lance

Creative_Lance Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2006
    USA
    For the price you're paying for stika you can almost get a brand new 24" vinyl express or panther from signwarehouse.com

6. Charlie J

Charlie J Very Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Midwest
    I had a stika 12 and the software that comes with it is confusing. I used it with flexi and it ran great.

7. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    I started with a Stika 12 machine, and was pretty impressed by what that little machine could do. I still have it and will one day use it as a mobile cutter paired with a laptop. Highly portable.(transportable) I was able to cut directly from Corel 8 with it. But now you can buy a decent 24 inch machine for about the same price and I would go that route.
    Ken