• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dont sit and spin....

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What is with people and drills?

Over and over if I have a helper and they are not used to using a drill, the first thing I notice is they will let the drill "cam out". That's my clue to give them a quick rundown on how to use a drill. Start-off slow, use pressure and if it starts to "slip" or cam out, STOP.

Over and over people dont get it. After explaining, they still go full force and let it spin and strip the head. And I've had some pretty handy and intelligent helpers.

I guess the drill takes more getting use to then I would imagine. I've seen people pick up squeeging vinyl much quicker.

rjssigns

Slow but sure I'm switching to T-20 and T-25 Torx head fasteners. Impact driver really helps too.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You need to be sure you are using the correct screw or fastener for the job at hand. Also, the Phillips screw bits of today are the total pits in my opinion. They lose their crispness almost immediately, unless you are working with soft woods. The constant heavy pressure is key. I too, am changing over to more and more torx fasteners and have been using a Makita impact for years. Robertson #2 are high on my list.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Personally, I do not use anything that has flat or Phillips... Only torx or hex bits. But when you disassemble shipping crates, open old signs or even new ones with flush fasteners they all use phillips.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If he's pulling them out and stripping them...... then, he is not using enough muscle.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I hope these guys are at least handsome or have a big bank account if they can't operate a drill.

Attachments

• 125c45b3449bc5d8ab75a250d2039452e2bc068f8fb1bec38bd7e84798044070.jpg
    125c45b3449bc5d8ab75a250d2039452e2bc068f8fb1bec38bd7e84798044070.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 120