• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Door Handle Removal

DeeHutch

Hi Guys and Gals!

Wrapping a 2008 Honda Pilot on Monday. I'm contemplating on removing the door handles.

What's the general consensus on this? Anyone ever removed them from this particular car?

I"m fairly new to wraps, with a few under my belt and generally will remove anything I can for a cleaner install.

Thanks in advance!

grafixemporium

We remove them every time except cargo vans that are pop riveted on. Pulling the handles and other obstacles allows for no exposed seams or cut lines. Takes a little extra time but its worth it.

HulkSmash

if it takes more then 3 minutes to remove we don't. Typically that's the case if you have to take off the panel.

ProWraps

not to side track but both of you are seriously poop heads.

ok back to original business. poop heads. the both of you.

kylebrk

We remove them every time except cargo vans that are pop riveted on. Pulling the handles and other obstacles allows for no exposed seams or cut lines. Takes a little extra time but its worth it.

+1

We have a deal with a local body guy. He comes in the night before and removes as much as he can for $60.

The quality of our wraps have shot through the roof. Our customers LOVE IT! It's all about how you sell it. I tell them it allows for the best wrap possible and they never have a problem.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We also remove stuff at times. Really depends on the vehicle, the type of customer, profit margin, and anticipated amount of effort to remove stuff though. For the most part though - if it can be removed easily then we more often do remove things. Also on most clients I pitch removal as an upsell and upcharge.... just explain to them that it gives a much cleaner finish. But also be aware - it can also make for a more painful removal down the road...

Door handles can be a major pain on some vehicles though and those only get done if the customer defintley wants to pay extra. I've removed door handles, very often side mirrors since it gets them out of the way, washer nozzles are usually easy, rear wipers, assorted lights, even a grille here and there if it can be yanked quickly and easily.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
+1

We have a deal with a local body guy. He comes in the night before and removes as much as he can for $60...

I don't do wraps but I do a lot of truck tailgates. I put the burden on the client. I make it abundantly clear that I do not do body work. If handles, badges, latch plates, whatever need to be removed I send them off the body shop of their choice and have them come back with a fully stripped down tailgate.

When I'm done with it then they can take it back to that shop and have it reassembled. Or they can do the hardware removal and/or reassembly themselves, I don't care one way or the other. One thing for sure, I'm not doing it.

tyzero

I never went to school to become a mechanic/auto body guy nor do I want to be one. I can wrap and trim out door handles faster than removing them.

Its like the whole helmet debate. I can wrap one, but for pennies. Ill wrap a vehicle and make dollars.

I had a Lexus es 350 I wrapped once and was going to remove the mirrors. I called the lexus dealership and asked whats the best way to do this. They told me they purchase new mirrors if one has to be removed. There is so many small little pieces in it that its more cost effective to replace it.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If thats the case the guy thought you were trying to replace the motor or something inside the mirror unit and was telling you how to dissasemble the actual mirror unit. Yeah - easier to replace the whole thing...

To remove the entire mirror unit - on many vehicles you just remove a small triangle shaped cover behind the mirror on the inside of the door. Behind that is usually 3 bolts and 1 electrical connector. Literally less than 5 minutes on most vehicles to remove the entire side mirror.

Now on an ES 350 and plenty of other vehicles it is not quite as simple as they require removing the door panel before you can get to the bolts for the mirror. Still not anything terribly complicated but does take considerably longer to properly remove a door panel and properly reinstall one without breaking any plastic clips or anything.

I never went to school to become a mechanic/auto body guy nor do I want to be one. I can wrap and trim out door handles faster than removing them.

Its like the whole helmet debate. I can wrap one, but for pennies. Ill wrap a vehicle and make dollars.

I had a Lexus es 350 I wrapped once and was going to remove the mirrors. I called the lexus dealership and asked whats the best way to do this. They told me they purchase new mirrors if one has to be removed. There is so many small little pieces in it that its more cost effective to replace it.

HulkSmash

I don't do wraps but I do a lot of truck tailgates. I put the burden on the client. I make it abundantly clear that I do not do body work. If handles, badges, latch plates, whatever need to be removed I send them off the body shop of their choice and have them come back with a fully stripped down tailgate.

When I'm done with it then they can take it back to that shop and have it reassembled. Or they can do the hardware removal and/or reassembly themselves, I don't care one way or the other. One thing for sure, I'm not doing it.

removing a ford badge - (GLUED) is far from body work...

wu99wu

i try to remove as much stuff as i can, i'm talkin roof rails, handles, mirrors, sometimes i take the mirrors apart, headlights, emblems, sidemarkers, etc... it is a lot more work, would prefer not to do all that, but i feel if it's gonna be done right, that's whats involved...

HulkSmash

Removal of parts and emblems should be an option in your quote.
Don't do it for free.

Charge them? You're going to charge a customer to produce a better quality product with hidden edges. and 90% of the time when you remove something you can do the wrap much faster.... nope not charging for that.

grafixemporium

Charge them? You're going to charge a customer to produce a better quality product with hidden edges. and 90% of the time when you remove something you can do the wrap much faster.... nope not charging for that.

:thankyou: Coloradosigns understands the show.

We don't remove everything to make our lives more difficult... we remove everything to make the install much easier, faster and smoother. We also remove everything to ensure fewer edges are exposed to the elements causing premature failure. We also remove everything because it allows us to run blades primarily in areas that will never be seen. That actually results in far less risk for us. We remove everything because it results in a better looking product. We remove everything because that's the way we choose to do it. You may choose not to remove anything. That's fine. Variety is the spice of life and people need options. We tend to like the options we have to offer. It's just a choice you have to make. There truly is no right or wrong answer. The fact of the matter is, ProWraps is the only poophead around these parts.