• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Door Jam Wrapping

Xcesiv

I am looking at doing a full colour change on a customers car including door jams, etc.

I was wondering if there is any tips people have to complete this?
Do you do the jams first?

I have completed a few wraps but never into the jams.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Border

You will probably live to regret it. I hope the customer doesn't think they are getting a new paint job and will expect it to be as durable.

Xcesiv

I have made it very clear that this area will be prone to marks, and damage and is outside the scope of standard works. That this entire area will be excluded from any warranty claims..

I have made this very clear face to face, in writing through our email conversations, and also noted it on the official quote. I also noted it on the quote and invoice.

I have seen it done a few times and does look a lot better than a exterior wrap.

The customer is happy with this. I have wrapped 3 of his mates cars and loves the work i do, just wants to take it a bit further and bring it into the jams.

rjssigns

You will have to remove the doors to do the hinge side of the jam. Should make life a lot easier with no door to work around. Door returns will be easier to wrap with the door laying flat on a body rack.

I paint cars from time to time so I am looking at it from that perspective.

heyskull

Scare this client off as their is double the work in the door jams than the exterior.
I had a client on Tuesday after the same thing and he choked on the price.
Clients wanting door jams etc. should really be taking the vehicle to the paint-shop.
This person is wanting so much more than what vinyl alone can accomplish.
What is next? Under the carpets and engine bay?!!!!
I sell colour change wraps as a temporary colour change which protects the original paintwork. If the customer wants more they should be visiting a paint-shop.

SC

SC

jfiscus

Rap Master
Is it a solid color wrap or a digital print wrap?
If it is a solid color, it would be just as expensive as having the car painted once it's completed...
A digital print... no way you'd probably even want to touch the job, he wants a "seamless" wrap also, right?

marcinito

Relax !!

I wrapped my White car with Matte Black 1080 and all door jams and areas that were showing white I came back with stripes of same material. You will never see that it’s a stripe/touch up.

Car looked great and some people argued with me that it’s a paint job.
It takes little extra time to remove door handles (5 minutes each)
and it takes little extra effort to make sure it looks good, but the end result its freaking unreal. I also removed rocker moldings for ease of application.

johnnysigns

It just comes down to how much their going to pay. I'd wrap the customer to the seat if they paid what I wanted. That's the real tough part.

Xcesiv

Its a solid colour wrap

He doesn't want the boot or engine bay wrapped, just door jams as when he shows off his car at car meets he opens the door to show off the interior.

He doesn't want to paint the car as its a special edition and will devalue the car.
He likes that he can remove it after a few years and have his nice car still underneath.

I have told him i would think about it, i also mentioned in my quote that all extras like jams would be at a per Hour rate, so i can take my time and get it right if i choose to do it.

I have told him that there will be areas that just cant be wrapped, around the pillar where the hinges are etc wont be wrapped, most likely the whole B pillar, and he is happy with that.

I wont be taking doors off, insides of doors wont be done..

Here is a wrap i found being done which had the jams done...

marcinito , did you wrap the jams first or after the exterior?

Attachments

• jams.jpg
    jams.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 162

Premier Wraps

We've wrapped the door shut area before on a color change. It was easy. Just have to be creative where you bury the seam to the actual wrap.

CheapVehicleWrap

All jambs should be included at no additional charge. This includes truck and engine bay. If the guys really nice throw the rims in too.