• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DOT Numbers

showcase 66

I am kinda curious to know if anyone asks to see proof of DOT #'s that are to be put on trucks. I usually do about 5 or 6 trucks a month that need the numbers redone or they are changing their door lettering. Main reason I am asking is that yesterday while I was at the SGIA expo I got 3 calls from some independents drivers that want me to do their doors. I told them to email me the info and I will work something up for them. After looking at them, I realized two different companies gave me the same DOT #'s. One of the companies I have done before. The other I have not.

I know it could have been a typing error in the email, but it got me thinking. I dont know how many times I have done business cards for contractors who give me their contractors # and it was wrong.

Just curios if anyone has run into this before. I just emailed all three and said I needed to see their paperwork for their DOT's to make sure everything is correct. I just want it to be right and for no one to get in trouble for the wrong numbers.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
the way i see it...i'm not the one that's gonna get fined when THEY get caught....whatever numbers i'm given are the numbers i cut...

32bantum

I do a fair amount of commercial vehicle lettering. Because I operate a sign and screen printing business and am also in the transportation industry I always try to verify their operating authority numbers even when they tell me they are sure they are correct. If in doubt check their numbers on this website www.safersys.org go to the company snapshot. Plug their dot, mc number or their name and it will give you the number that is on file with USDOT.

dwt

I just give them what they ask for, if it's wrong it's not my fault.

Last edited:

signage

I agree with Fenris242, but I would also let them know that I think they may have made a mistake in the email!

showcase 66

From what I have been told out here in AZ by the ROC, with a contractors license, if I apply it wrong, I am also at fault. If I cut the numbers and then they apply it, I am not. Not sure if this will go this way for DOT's but I really dont want to take a chance.

showcase 66

I do a fair amount of commercial vehicle lettering. Because I operate a sign and screen printing business and am also in the transportation industry I always try to verify their operating authority numbers even when they tell me they are sure they are correct. If in doubt check their numbers on this website www.safersys.org go to the company snapshot. Plug their dot, mc number or their name and it will give you the number that is on file with USDOT.

I was looking for a website to verify this info. Thanks.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I know it could have been a typing error in the email, but it got me thinking. I dont know how many times I have done business cards for contractors who give me their contractors # and it was wrong...

Just what the world needs right now, another self-appointed vigilante.

Follow the copy even if it goes out the window** and just make the numbers. The context of those numbers is absolutely none of your concern.

**Old newspaper adage