• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Double Cutting?

SignaramaFL

So I have a rather odd situation... I have a logo that I am contour cutting for a local business. I print it, and then load it into my Graphtec. I first did this all with briteline vinyl/laminate... worked just fine, printed beautifully. Well I forgot this customer needed to have the 3M vinyl, so I re-printed this said logo, laminated with briteline, and put it through the Graphtec and now its double cutting the logo!!! Which is causing it to cut all the way through the backing paper... I'm sure I didn't change any settings, used the same file for both print/cuts. Any help would be great!

Jim Doggett

So I have a rather odd situation... I have a logo that I am contour cutting for a local business. I print it, and then load it into my Graphtec. I first did this all with briteline vinyl/laminate... worked just fine, printed beautifully. Well I forgot this customer needed to have the 3M vinyl, so I re-printed this said logo, laminated with briteline, and put it through the Graphtec and now its double cutting the logo!!! Which is causing it to cut all the way through the backing paper... I'm sure I didn't change any settings, used the same file for both print/cuts. Any help would be great!

Double vector. The logo file has the hairline stroke and fill object separately defined.

Or possibly, an extra paste put one precisely on top of the other, and both are cutting.

Jim Doggett

Oops, solution:

Ungroup, and then delete to objects on top. You'll select, hit delete, and it'll look like it's still there (merely the bottom object remaining). If it's not that, and the object IS deleted, hit ctrl-z, undo.

SignaramaFL

Double vector. The logo file has the hairline stroke and fill object separately defined.

Or possibly, an extra paste put one precisely on top of the other, and both are cutting.

how would this be possible, if I didn't have an issue with double cutting with the briteline vinyl?

But to make sure I did check, and it is just one file thats being sent.

Double Diamond

I have a quick solution... change the cutting force to half. When I first hooked up my plotter, the advance after cut was set to 0.00 and when I chose multiple, it cut on top of original. I hope it helps. J

OhioSignShop

every time I've seen this "double cut" its been as Jim described, a stroke added or another layout issue. If it's too much knife force it will cut thru but not "double cut" two outlines.

SignaramaFL

Im still not sure how this has happened, but like double said thats actually what i ended up doing. Just cut the pressure in half and it worked to get by. And i could be missing something within the file... but I feel like I've torn it apart fairly well

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Attached are a couple of freeware items for Adobe Illustrator that are particularly valuable for locating and removing the unfilled invisible paths left behind by Illustrator during a number of its Pathfinder routines.

Select allows you to select any unfilled paths in the Select > Objects group. WR removeDuplicates is a script that automates the finding and removal of them.

They are both very good and are also safe.

Attachments

• WR-removeDuplicates.zip
    2 KB · Views: 171
  • Select CS.zip
    28.4 KB · Views: 146

round man

Thanx Fred!!!!! I wish I had a nickel for every time I've had to go behind a designer using Illustrator and delete the double vectors over the years,...we could all go out and eat a very fine steak dinner

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred,
Do those work on the Mac version also?

Never tried it Bill. I feel pretty sure the WR removeDuplicates will work since it's JavaScript. The SelectCS is an AIP plugin and I'm pretty sure it's cross platform as well. But neither should pose any risk to your system to drop it in the scripts or plugin folder to see if it works.