• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

double-sided banner length is wrong

Sticky Signs

I'm printing double sided banners using a Soljet Pro III. The material is Ultraflex ultra smooth block out. The first side prints great. The second side print nicely however, it's coming up short. On a 4'x8' it's about 1" short on the second side. I've read through some of the other posts and taken a few tips and I'm currently testing em out. Problem is, I'm working in the film biz which mean they need it yesterday. Any thoughts, tips or tricks???
Thanks

jay*doc

could it be that you are trying to print on the second side immediately after the first? You did say they need them yesterday. If so, I'd speculate, and that all this is, is a shot in the dark, is that one of two things may be happening. The rollers are sliding on the freshly printed surface, or the media is stretching oh so slightly (from your description, just over 1% over 8 feet).

I don't know what roland calls it, but do a page feed adjust over a printed area, then set it up to print. Just an idea.

Sticky Signs

Yeah, I know it's the ink not having enough time to dry. I also though about adjust the feed calibration however that's a complete guessing game. I guess super-power-nerd could figure it out but I don't have time for that. I'm trying again with less heat, less vacuum power and we put a light coating of baking powder on the metal platens to hopefully help prevent any sticking.

rfulford

Are you sure its short or did the front side stretch? At any rate, short of measuring the front and adjusting the back, I usually build 2 files a front with no bleed for trimming and a back with bleed. Just be sure to add white to the front where the bleed is in back so the files have the same dimensions.

TheSnowman

Sub it out. I've never even attempted one cause I've seen so many people throw banners away that didn't print right double sided. When you sub it, you don't have to worry about errors...it's not your problem.

sfr table hockey

If the width is the exact same then it has to do with the banner after its printed, streatching. If you measure it, is the original image now 8' 1""?

If so then you know the banner material has stretched due to the full print of ink. This will happen. Not sure if even time will make it shrink back.

What you can do is elongate the second side by 1% so make it 101% before you print and don't change the width. Measure as exact as you can to determine if 1% will be close enough but by doing this you can get it much closer to match.

just a thought

Sticky Signs

Nope, it's not stretching. I measured the first side and it's perfect. I'm convinced that it's the moist ink sticking the the pre-heat platten and it's causing enough drag to throw the size out.
On a positive note, my second attempt with the above mentioned fixes seems to have worked. I just really don't like the idea of putting baking powder on my printer... Yikes.

Sticky Signs

I found the solution! Teflon Tape. I put a few strips across the back-side platen to stop the moist ink from sticking. I also reduced the heat on the pre-heater and the print-heater to help stop the material from getting all wrinkly... I just did both sides of a 12' banner with no drying time in between and it worked perfectly. hope this helps someone else in the future. BTW, Teflon tape will set you back about 120 bucks a roll. Of course, having at least a day to let the ink dry is probably your best bet...

animenick65

Could also put some double sided tape on some good release liner and try using that as well. Glad you figured it out Sticky.

CheapVehicleWrap

120 a roll? Like plumbers tape? or $120 a roll, plumbers tape with adhesive? Well, baking powder was obviously not a good idea on the printer! Either of the last 2 solutions oughta work. Or you could just charge more and tell the customer it's off because the ink actually sticks to the platen.. a patented process exclusively available only at Sticky Signs! :)

Sticky Signs

Not plumber tape. It's kinda like duck tape with a teflon coating. Nothing sticks to it. I did try using mask but didnt' quite do the trick.