Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

#$%^ Double Sided Banner Tape!

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Angela, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Angela

Angela Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Temecula, CA
    I am using Oracal 1" double sided banner tape. Unless there is some formula to folding the banner over that I am not aware of, the fold does not adhere. It will stick for a short while, but I made a banner yesterday at 3pm, I came in this morning and sure enough the fold was bubbly. Any advice is appreciated. I am thinking an iron? :frustrated:

Tags:
  2. Case

Case Member

Jul 21, 2004
    IN
  3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    It's not that hard...you must have a bad roll of tape. I use Takit from Fellers and some other brand from Advantage, but over all the different ones I've used over there years, I've never had one that didn't stick. Get yourself a new roll and you'll be done swearing.

4. njshorts

njshorts Active Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Meadville, PA
    We've used it with good results, but have since switched to speedpress's offering.

A tip: make sure once you've folded and adhered, use a roller (we use a 18" J roller) to go over all of the folds with a good bit of pressure- helps a lot.

5. sghobbies

sghobbies Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Adel, GA
    It is a pressure sensitive adhesive. We use a 3M gold squeegee with velcro on one side to apply pressure after we've folded the hem.

6. Angela

Angela Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Temecula, CA
    Great thank you. Just ordered from Advantage :)

7. SummitSignsandmore

SummitSignsandmore Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    PA
    Same here.. a good deal of firm intial pressure is a must. I actually use the squeege flat and apply the pressure with the 2 humps that are located on the center to the squeegee to get optimal pressure with out scaring my squeegees edges.

8. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    well, depending if you have prepped the banner and are smoothing the folded area, then there is a formula...

clean the area you want to put tape to first... then, with a 2" wide ruler,,, hold it close to the edge of the banner and draw a line on the banner with a stabilo pencil... align your tape next to this mark so when you fold the material, your straight.... then take your squeegee or roller wheel and run that over so you flatten the folded portion, repeat a few and you should be good :)

9. Jack Knight1979

Jack Knight1979 Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    oracal hem tape is useless.

get the tuff tape from fellers.

10. Finishline Signs

Finishline Signs Active Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Crestview, FL
    We've been using Oracal 1" hem tape for over 5 years now and never had a failure. We use a small palm brayer instead of a squeeggee to press the hems down. Works great.