• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Double sided banners on 360 - large run

Bly

Anyone done large jobs d/sided on banner on a 360?
The few times I've done small jobs it worked but was a bit tedious.

Talking 10 full 50m rolls. Each banner 2m long.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Set up each banner as a seperate item in onyx and have it set to auto print so you get a line up line in front of each banner, then do the same for the rear prints... that seems to be the safest way.

When we try to run multiple copies sequentially with only one line up line it goes off after the first couple banners due to stretch.

Bly

Thanks, yeah I know.
Could get a bit tedious doing that 250 times though.
I quoted and added a premium for the back side.
Hopefully they just go for the single sided option.
We could smash them out no worries.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We often get head strikes with our 360 after 8-10ft. It's on the take-up too! We don't typically do large volume printing but not sure I'd trust it anyway.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We often get head strikes with our 360 after 8-10ft. It's on the take-up too! We don't typically do large volume printing but not sure I'd trust it anyway.

On banner? If so make sure you use the curing pads and turn off the vacuum for banner materials, it precent buckling and stretching.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
On banner? If so make sure you use the curing pads and turn off the vacuum for banner materials, it precent buckling and stretching.

We use the edge guards and the curling pads. Not sure about the vacuum, will have to ask my print guy. Also suggested we back the heat off a bit. Seems the material is getting so hot it's sticking on the upper side somehow.

TheSnowman

I normally tell people I can do them two single sided for less than a double sided, then if they want a double, I sub it. Only takes a couple screw ups, and you're throwing a ton of material away that you've already printed one side of.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We use the edge guards and the curling pads. Not sure about the vacuum, will have to ask my print guy. Also suggested we back the heat off a bit. Seems the material is getting so hot it's sticking on the upper side somehow.

Typically that is caused by the vacuum causing a wave in the media and it hits the curing tunnel (This looks like a headstrike).

Have them try it without any vacuum on the banner and start the material with a couple inches exposed passed the curing tunnel. We also run our banner temps between 205 and 218, just fyi.

Morkel

Typically that is caused by the vacuum causing a wave in the media and it hits the curing tunnel (This looks like a headstrike).

Have them try it without any vacuum on the banner and start the material with a couple inches exposed passed the curing tunnel. We also run our banner temps between 205 and 218, just fyi.

Heat is most definitely an issue. We were having sticking problems even with zero vacuum, because the heat would make the (already printed, now down-facing) first side stick to the platen. Dropping down the heat fixed it, but consequently didn't cure the ink properly so we have to do double-sided banners at 8-pass instead of the 6-pass we use for single-sided.

@ the OP, I also recommend to bring them in to the rip separately and have it set to auto print. If they're all the same though, at 2 metres each you could probably afford to set it at qty 2 or even 3 each batch, which will save time between prints and also when it inevitably can't find the line on the second side and you have to search for it.

I hate double-sided banners and am comforted that others have the same issues. To the unenlightened, you can understand the thought of "you're not using any more media, it's just a bit more ink", and hence why industry-standard is to price them at maybe 140% the single-sided price. If I had my way, they'd be at least 200%, because for short runs it does effectively double the media use (with the leading and trailing material) and you can be sure that if it's going to stuff up, it'll be at 80% through the second side.

Bly

I didn't get the job.
Priced the second side at 150% of the first because I knew it would be trouble.
I did ask a trade printer but they wouldn't use the media specified.

FatCat

Not to go off topic, but we just did 165 2x4 double sided banners between our two Mutoh 1624's last week on 13oz double side blockout. Heavy coverage, so we were allowing them to dry completely overnight before printing the other side. Did a similar job last year and learned quite a bit and wasted quite a bit of material because we had heat too high and didn't allow enough time for ink to cure. All I can say is that patience is a virtue when running double sided banners...

Morkel

Not to go off topic, but we just did 165 2x4 double sided banners between our two Mutoh 1624's last week on 13oz double side blockout. Heavy coverage, so we were allowing them to dry completely overnight before printing the other side. Did a similar job last year and learned quite a bit and wasted quite a bit of material because we had heat too high and didn't allow enough time for ink to cure. All I can say is that patience is a virtue when running double sided banners...

Unfortunately, customers rarely share that virtue.