• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Double sided banners

psbc2009

Need to run some 2 sided banners on 18oz. We run alot of banners, all one side. Any special precautions I need to take when running the second side? I was wondering about the fresh ink coming across the heaters??
Using a Mutoh 1604 and 1614.
Thanks!

Sooner Printing

Need to run some 2 sided banners on 18oz. We run alot of banners, all one side. Any special precautions I need to take when running the second side? I was wondering about the fresh ink coming across the heaters??
Using a Mutoh 1604 and 1614.
Thanks!

We run our double sided banner 2 faces up..cut..fold and then sew.. 99% of our customers don't mind that way.. Should save them money.. Unless weight is an issue

Mosh

I just print two one sided banners and say here you are. The amount of messing around is way less cost. Banner material is cheap. Lesson learned about 15-20 years ago....unless your time is worth nothing. I can run two 8' banners in 15 minutes, or mess around and try and line up for a double side and HOPE it lines up in the same time....if it fails I lose $4 material, I am happy to just sell the extra $4 in material. been there, done that!!!
i always give a second one at a less price BTW, unless they are PITA!!!

h82loose

I have done 2 sided on 1604,1614,1624. I cut little slits on the sides of the banner on the lead edge as a line up mark before I print. I usually stop the first print after the first couple passes. This allows me to confirm when I do the back side. artwork also helps. You need a little extra bleed on one side. Usually 1.5" to hem. I always print the face in side first, because it has more resistance coming off the roll. Sometime the double sided banner is super smooth and likes to vacuum itself down when you go to print the second side.

DRPSignsNGrafix

We do these all the time. I"m printing 28 of them right now as I type this. I set everything up to print. Draw little pen lines on top of banner with ridges on machine. Later I will slit these with exacto. Print the first side. When done take out let dry a little bit. WE use a Mimaki so we try to let dry a few hours. When I ran my Mutoh i would let sit for maybe 20 mins then go to next side. Slit the lines drawn earlier. This is going to be your alignment. Flip material so what was your front right corner of banner is now the left corner on the machine. Line up your slits with the machine. This makes sure that your lined up on X axis. When you print the second side don't forget to rotate the design 180 degrees. Make sure all settings in rip are the same. We usually use Center on the material and no feed. That way it starts printing in the same spot. Print away.

TheSnowman

I sub all my double sided out because I don't get enough to ever warrant trying to mess with figuring out a plan that doesn't work. I'd say in 7 years in business I've done MAYBE 10 double sided.

IronHawk

Depending on the use, there are several ways that we do it. I'm running some double sided pole banners on 13oz banner material right now that are set up head to head and printed on one side of the material, folded over, and then have the pole pockets stitched in them. Works great for that application. We've done many of them that way for indoor banners as well, just on a curl-free material.

For a banner that's printed on both sides of the material, my Seikos have a setting I can set when I load the material where I can tell it if I'm printing the front or back of a banner. This causes it to do a couple of things: on the front, it will print a line at the end of the banner that I can use by lining that up with the edge of the platen when I flip it over and run it back through. Once it clears the afterheater on the first side, I use a thumbtack and poke a hole right on the line next to the edge so I can see it from the flipside. On the back side, it will run a cleaning cycle at the end of each banner to help minimize loss due to banding, etc... On these Seikos though, I haven't had too much of an issue with that anyway.

For me, the worst part of printing on both sides is I have to let the banners dry/cure/gas out overnight, at least, for them to have a prayer of not dragging as they go through on the second side. I also typically have to turn the heaters down a notch or two.

Recently, because everything we do seems to be a rush job, most of our double sided indoor banners have gone to the flatbed guy who can knock them out in no time flat, as long as they aren't too long for his bed.

I'll print double-sided, head to head banners all day, every day... :thumb:

CanuckSigns

double sided are extremely easy to do on our roland.

you print the first side as you normally would, with margin marks set to 0.0", when it is done, take a pin and poke a hole in the corner of each margin mark.

flip the banner over and load into the machine, align the tip of the knife with the pinhole closest to the carriage home, hit basepoint button, move the knife over to the other hole, make sure it is in light to ensure you are loaded straight, if not, adjust as needed.

hit print.

the whole ordeal takes about 2 minutes, the end result is much nicer looking than 2 banners taped together.

cha88

i feel like if i ever stated i wanted to tape two banners together i would be laughed off the forum! i cant believe someone even considers it!:iamwithstupid

kanini

double sided are extremely easy to do on our roland.

you print the first side as you normally would, with margin marks set to 0.0", when it is done, take a pin and poke a hole in the corner of each margin mark.

flip the banner over and load into the machine, align the tip of the knife with the pinhole closest to the carriage home, hit basepoint button, move the knife over to the other hole, make sure it is in light to ensure you are loaded straight, if not, adjust as needed.

hit print.

the whole ordeal takes about 2 minutes, the end result is much nicer looking than 2 banners taped together.

+1 When I printed my first double-sided on the Roland I thought the sides would never line up so I had a lot of bleed... to no use - the other side was spot on with this method, and as you said it is easy, fast and looks very good! Never had an issue with inks scratching or anything even if I flip it over right away...

psbc2009

Thanks for all of the replys. These are pole banners - should have mentioned that to begin with. On two sided regular banners i usually just print 2 . I will give it a shot with the advice everyone has shared. Thanks!

longlivemedia

You have to make sure that the concentration of your ink and the thickness of the material are compatible. Else, you'll mess with the banner.