• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

down time on HP fb500 Scitex printer

Stour

Hi There, just recently got and fb500 just wonder what other shop do with theirs at night. do they always leave it running to run through the cleaning cycles? Do you shut it down each night? do people shut them down when they go a couple days of no printing or long weekend?
If you do shut them down what kind of cleaning routine do you do with them?
Thanks

FrankW

Don‘t shut it down. Specially if you use white ink, but in 6 colour mode too. I know the machine makes the same noise if running or in sleep mode, but specially if switching off for more than a few days, you will kill the print heads.

AMGearhart

I put mine in 'sleep' mode. But don't shut it down. It needs to run the cleaning cycles.
Also, if you are printing with white ink, get one of those mixers that helps keep the ink shaken. In fact, I've gotten into a habit of manually shaking all my inks on Monday. I've had too much trouble with the cyan and magenta in the past, and tech suggested it as a preventative.

Eduardo Massuda

Hi There, just recently got and fb500 just wonder what other shop do with theirs at night. do they always leave it running to run through the cleaning cycles? Do you shut it down each night? do people shut them down when they go a couple days of no printing or long weekend?
If you do shut them down what kind of cleaning routine do you do with them?
Thanks

I habe a FB550 and it is about the same as FB500.
" NEVER turn it off ! "
- If it is a default self diagnostics, it is running at 2:00 am, every night
- It runs a self cleaning and runs the belt travel, home all servos, etc.
- every morning also check for power out, so if machine will be off.
( In this case power complete off and after 15 seconds power Back on.).
- Every Week open the ink waste valve to drain to the Gallon,
down left on the printer, * should be about 7 gallons a year in heads purge. Just in case you don't know.
- print heads have heaters, *make sure printer is operation in room min 68f to 85f.
Freeze the heads is a major problem.
- Once a while you also may have a problem with bad ink ( Cyan and Magenta ) if not print correctly out the blue both heads ( same color) indication is bad ink, Plunge with air and replace with new ink, Claim the ink been bad.
- Clean all filters from dust, every month ( computer qty 2 - 1 inside right bellow, power in - Qty 1 - next to power on/off down front.
- Qty 2 top head filters UV lights.
- every 500 Hours also all top fans, Qty 6.

Hope this helps.
Ed.