• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Drawing in Corel

ThinkRight

I was wondering what or how everyone draws in Corel.
I am having a hard time using a mouse,maybe I am not doing it right ?
Maybe it is just the learning curve ?
Are there tools or pen/ pad that I could use ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks

WildWestDesigns

I think drawing with a mouse is a cumbersome as well.

For my main design computer I use the Cintiq 21UX.

For the travel laptop/production computer I use the Cintiq 12WX (I think that's the correct letter part of the model number).

Now Wacom (they make the Cintiq listed above) does have the Intous and Bamboo line of tablets that work as well. I just like having the ability to draw directly on the monitor myself.

Here is a link to their Cintiq lineup: http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Cintiq.aspx

Edit: If you are interested in the smaller 12WX version, let me snap a picture of mine, because their picture on the website does not show all "extras" that come with it due to it's slim design. It makes it just a little less travel friendly then the picture would suggest. Other then that, for my needs it works great and it does go on trips, but it's just a little more cumbersome then you are led to believe in the picture.

ThinkRight

Drawing

Thank you !
That was what I was thinking.
Drawing with a mouse just is not natural.
I am not an artist to begin with, and using a mouse is like scribbling.
Thanks.

weaselboogie

If you don't have a cintiq, most illustrators draw on paper and scan it in, tracing the linework. Drawing with a mouse is awkward ; drawing with an intuos is almost as awkward, a bit less awkward. I've done quite a bit of illustration where I render and redo my line work with my intuos, but I'm far from conquering the ease of drawing that I have when I'm on paper. Drawing one place and looking at your monitor and then tilting the tablet for angles, while the monitors stays sessile is cumbersome. I have no problem rendering this way, but to sketch is way awkward for me.

Attachments

• shark.jpg
    shark.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 68

WildWestDesigns

Another thing that you could consider is the Inkling if you like to work from sketches in the beginning. That was something that my family got me for a birthday gift. It's also made by Wacom and it works really well. Might make it easier with using the mouse if you already have your drawing as a template to go from.

I like my gadgets as you can tell.

http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Inkling.aspx

Looks like weasel was a little ahead of me on that one.

I personally have no problem at all drawing with a mouse. I have a Wacom bamboo but never use it. To draw with the mouse I use predominantly three tools, b spline, freehand, and artistic media. Works well for me.

ThinkRight

Thank you !
The right tool for the job is always the best approach.
Now I have to decide which 1.
/who am I kidding,which 2

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
if it's corel painter ... use a tablet.

as for draw ... just sketch in real life, throw your sketch up into draw and pen tool it out ... your lines will be cleaner since you can control the points and it will take less time.

ThinkRight

I personally have no problem at all drawing with a mouse. I have a Wacom bamboo but never use it. To draw with the mouse I use predominantly three tools, b spline, freehand, and artistic media. Works well for me.

That would make you a talented artist.
That ain't me.
Some of us will always be paint by numbers people.
What is artistic media ?

SignManiac

If you don't have a cintiq, most illustrators draw on paper and scan it in, tracing the linework. Drawing with a mouse is awkward ; drawing with an intuos is almost as awkward, a bit less awkward. I've done quite a bit of illustration where I render and redo my line work with my intuos, but I'm far from conquering the ease of drawing that I have when I'm on paper. Drawing one place and looking at your monitor and then tilting the tablet for angles, while the monitors stays sessile is cumbersome. I have no problem rendering this way, but to sketch is way awkward for me.

+1
I feel the same way!

WildWestDesigns

The Cintiq 12WX

Nice one. I could have done without the convertor box and all the wires that it creates, but it is all in all a nice package.

and the Intuos5 Large Pen & Touch Tablet

I stopped at the Intous 4. That didn't work at all for me, so I had to go back to the Intous 3.

and maybe the Inkling http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Inkling.aspx
Micro Center has Cintiq and Intuos here locally

Ahh, you missed post #5. It was right before the barrage of replies kicked in.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I'm still using a wacom graphire 3 I picked up about 8 years ago on clearance for $20. Use it almost daily.

as for cintiq's ... god I would completely forget the paper step with that thing.

WildWestDesigns

21UX is the one on the far right in the second picture. The 12WX is on the chair in the first one.

Attachments

• Laptop.png
    Laptop.png
    475.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Office.png
    Office.png
    497.6 KB · Views: 82

OldPaint

you can draw in corel with the mouse easily. the 5th box down on the left toobar. mine is set to the "freehand tool." inside of that you have 7 more choices. bezier, artist media, pen, polyline, 3 point curve, interactive connect tool & dimension tool. if you go to HELP in corel and read what each will do and how to use them...........drawing with a mouse ....not to make a pun but it will be a "snap."!!!!
the draw/scan is mostly what i use, since i can draw, its just simpler and something i been used to since i was 5. i still get joy from crayons and colored pencils.