• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dreaded banding

crny1

XC 540
Versa works and Illustrator

Printed a file a week ago and it printed perfect. All colors in the file are spot colors from versaworks roland library
Today I need to print another copy of that file and the Cyan is banding. Only Cyan shows it. Did Bi Directional test and adjusted a couple that were off alittle and have the same results. I have rebooted everything. Only difference is the material. Its the SAME material just a different roll. But if it was the material why would it only be the Cyan. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Bi-Directional alignment doesn't do anything for banding issues. If the banding is only happening in one color, it's most likely missing nozzles. How does your nozzle check look?

oksigns

for some perspective I am missing 2 nozzles on my A head for cyan with my Roland printer. I have done all I could to recover them, but they are lost. I will forever have banding on heavy "blue" printing that rely on cyan, but everything else is acceptable to perfect. If I lose 2 more nozzles or any 1 on the B head, I will have to replace.

That is something to chew on

crny1

Here is the a test print showing the 2 nozzles in Magenta that arent firing. The print with the banding I threw away last night (garbabge man came this morning). I have something printing now that (different file) that is looking fine for now but doesnt use and 100% cyan spot colors like before.

crny1

Forgot the attachment
nozzle.JPG

Attachments

• nozzle.JPG
    nozzle.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 184
  • nozzle.JPG
    nozzle.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 178

oksigns

I'd double check alignment settings and manually inspect/clean the heads.

Rogue causes for this may lie in your RIP software too- so I'd double check the profile is correct, but this banding looks "mechanical" in nature.

XC 540
Versa works and Illustrator

Printed a file a week ago and it printed perfect. All colors in the file are spot colors from versaworks roland library
Today I need to print another copy of that file and the Cyan is banding. Only Cyan shows it. Did Bi Directional test and adjusted a couple that were off alittle and have the same results. I have rebooted everything. Only difference is the material. Its the SAME material just a different roll. But if it was the material why would it only be the Cyan. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Hey crny1,

Oksigns (above) is correct in implying that every nozzle has a purpose and if if the printer loses "...2 more nozzles or any 1 on the B head...", the head may need replacement. You may be able to mask the problem by laying down more ink (by increasing the print resolution), but you'll still have the nozzle dropout issue that needs to be address...eventually.

Anyway, if you really want to get this matter resolved, it's strongly encouraged that you consult with your authorized Roland dealer, they will fix the machine for you. If you don't have a dealer that you normally work with, you can find one by using our locator service online here: https://www.rolanddga.com/dealers

Take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

Just a heads up... you have only one nozzle missing. The test print is printed in two full passes, one above the other. So, what you'll see is a repeat of missing nozzles, one above the other.

Could one missing nozzle cause your banding?... maybe.

Your banding might be from a misaligned head. There are two physical head alignments that need to be perfect. If they are not, then you can get this type of banding. I would follow Roland's advice and call a service tech. A Roland tech can check all the alignments in about an hour or so. The charge should be minimal.

In the mean time, I would do the Feed Calibration to see if you can clean it up the banding a bit. When you load a job into VersaWorks, go to the Job's Settings then click on Printer Control button at the left. Make sure Feed Calibration Controls is set to Use Printer Settings.
Even if the Feed Calibration clears up the problem, you should still consider having a Roland tech visit you.

Fares Bayazeed

My guess is alignment. I would plug in a new cyan/black printhead. If this fixes it you know you need to clean the other printhead. If it does the same thing you are back to my original guess, allignment.