• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

drilling holes

Cynosure

Anyone have tips for drilling into 3 or 6 mil pvc? Whenever I try it, I get a "corkscrew" effect and an unclean drill hole that needs to be finished with an xacto. It's a new dewalt titanium bit, maybe I need a different type? Drill faster...slower....

Firefox

Drill faster (RPM) feed slower (how hard you push).

If using a hand drill it might be a little harder to do than with a drill press.

Also. if you drill a pilot hole make it very small or the drill bit will really want to act like a wood screw (cork screw)

I use a punch... it cuts very cleanly!

We use a Roper Whitney hand punch that will do holes up to 1/4" in aluminum, MaxMetal, PVC, pretty much whatever you throw at it. I think you can pick one up for around $100.00. It's a very handy tool that makes perfect holes every time. Use a center punch to locate the holes and they are dead on the money.

Cynosure

I just picked one up...A #8 I believe for 7/16" (grommets) and 1/8". The problem is I did not realize how big it was and did not get the table stand. So until that shows up...I might have to resort to the drill because this press is a beast!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Forstner bits if the hole is 1/4" or more, they don't come any smaller. Failing that a brad point bit. Use a drill press if at all possible, especially with the Forstner bits.

With either of these bit styles in a drill press or with a steady hand and a drill held with the bit completely perpendicular to the work as humanly possible, perfectly clean holes will result.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
For a few holes you can use one of these like others have said: Metal Hole Punch Kit, Hand Held Power Punch
This is handy for mounting your hand punch to a bench: http://www.frednelsonfabrication.com/PunchMountSales.htm
We took two of these mounting brackets and put them on some T-Slot on a board to make a jig for repeat punch cuts.

If you need to drill slightly larger holes through plastic, try using Forstner Bits:

Good Every Day Use - PORTER-CABLE PC1014 Forstner Bit Set, 14-Piece
And if You have to drill larger holes (1" Plus) Best Forstner Bits I have used so far - Irwin Industrial Tools 3046008 1-1/2-Inch 3-Cutter Self Feed Drill Bit

And if you don't have a drill press, or the one you have doesn't have a wide enough throat, you can try this: Wolfcraft 4525404 Drill Guide Attachment for 1/4-Inch or 3/8-Inch Drills Make sure you put a piece of scrap down, or this little press might mar your print.

We'll that's probably enough product plugs today. :Big Laugh We honestly use all these things around our shop for different kinds of holes.

Attachments

• t-slot-hole-punch-mount.jpg
    t-slot-hole-punch-mount.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 80