• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Drop Shadows causing the background color to be darker

dwarrior

I put a drop shadow on some letters and it is making the background behind it darker. Is there a way to remedy this? I am using Flexi 22 Build number 4084 and a HP Latex 560. The vinyl is Oracale 3850 translucent.

Attachments

• 20230519_123406.jpg
    20230519_123406.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 288

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
My first thought is a rendering intent mismatch. Drop shadows are raster effects. Your RIP usually defaults to render raster and vector objects using different methods. But when a raster effect with transparency is used on top of a vector object, the RIP renders the raster effect and vector object using different methods and because their is a transparency, it overlaps the methods and creates problems like this.

You should be able to fix the problem by making your bitmap and vector rendering intents the same setting in the RIP or by rasterizing the entire image before RIPing.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Isn't that the purpose of a drop shadow? ...to make the background behind it darker?

What kind of file are you pulling in, and are you enlarging it in the RIP? Whenever I have weird things happening with gradients and dropshadows, (if possible) I'll enlarge it to the actual size, and flatten it then pull it into the RIP

dwarrior

Isn't that the purpose of a drop shadow? ...to make the background behind it darker?

What kind of file are you pulling in, and are you enlarging it in the RIP? Whenever I have weird things happening with gradients and dropshadows, (if possible) I'll enlarge it to the actual size, and flatten it then pull it into the RIP
This puts a darker square around the letters instead of just having it be behind the letters.

signheremd

You get color problems like this sometimes when you design in CMYK but add a RGB element - with the items joined/grouped - the rip software sometimes has issue with interpreting the colors as the same. check to see what Color Modes you are using and , if possible, try to be sure you have the color in one mode or the other.

dwarrior

You get color problems like this sometimes when you design in CMYK but add a RGB element - with the items joined/grouped - the rip software sometimes has issue with interpreting the colors as the same. check to see what Color Modes you are using and , if possible, try to be sure you have the color in one mode or the other.
That may have been my problem. I converted the background to CMYK and it worked. Thank you.

buzwhitesigns

My first thought is a rendering intent mismatch. Drop shadows are raster effects. Your RIP usually defaults to render raster and vector objects using different methods. But when a raster effect with transparency is used on top of a vector object, the RIP renders the raster effect and vector object using different methods and because their is a transparency, it overlaps the methods and creates problems like this.

You should be able to fix the problem by making your bitmap and vector rendering intents the same setting in the RIP or by rasterizing the entire image before RIPing.
Great information! I was looking for a solution to this very problem.