• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Drop Shadows

ackerman139

Hey Guys, been printing some drop shadows on logos, and looks killer on the computer, and when imported into versaworks and printed on high quality it prints a "transparent" box around the area with the drop shadow. It just lightens every color noticeably inside that box. Any ideas on how to fix this asap? Thanks!

jasonx

It's to do I think with PDF's and transparencies. That way its layered.

Try this select everything in your artwork and go to Object -> Flatten Transparency and re save your PDF.

I think that fixes it.

ackerman139

it fixes it sometimes, but screws up the contour cutlines which is a spot color always. Also sometimes it messes with some of the artwork. I think in the larger sized ones.

jasonx

Sorry should of told you not to select any cut lines because it expands them.

when this happens I usually take the artwork to photoshop flatten it and re save it as a pdf. Place it in illustrator add the cut lines again and re save it out.

GypsyGraphics

Just ran into this same issue, appearing in PDF file. The layout was in InDesign, the problem was a placed PSD image, with a transparent background, that inadvertently hadn't been converted to CMYK. Didn't catch it in the preflight (note to self, don't trust 3am preflights).

The discoloration in the underlying color was the transparent portion of the image box.

The problem, mixing color modes. The fix, easy... don't do that.

luggnut

i have this problem sometimes when using raster effects (drop shadows are raster in illy) combined with vectors. the RIPs rendering intent for raster is perceptual and for vectors it's no correction or relative colormetric.

i set both the intents in the rip to relative colormetric and it fixes it.

if that don't fix it i use the make it a jpg or tiff method...

jfiscus

Rap Master
If you are working in Illustrator it should be giving you a warning that spot colors and transparencies (drop shadows) do NOT mix.

Unfortunately, the only fix for this combination is to rasterize the image.

Once you have the image rasterized, place it back into Illustrator and place the ContourCut lines back into position. You should not notice much of a difference in actual print quality if you do this correctly, though the file may be a larger size and take longer to process.

ProColorGraphics

It does have to do with the drop shadow or any blended effects over a spot color. Unless you want to get a different RIP, like Onyx, who says they eliminate this problem, you have to flatten the file and place your cut lines on top. It has done this for me with every type of file.

ackerman139

fiscus, luggnut, and pro. I think you guys are dead on. Now I know what my problems are. Thanks a tonnnnn! Let you know if for some strange reason nothing works.