Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drop shadows

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by Angela, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Angela

Angela Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Temecula, CA
    I am in Illy CS3 trying to do a drop shadow for a business card. Is this possible in illy? I am able to do drop shadows fine for large print but when it comes to business cards the drop shadows never seem to work. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Tags:
  2. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

corel does em just fine

3. sinetist

sinetist Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Gabriola BC, Canada
  4. MikeD

MikeD Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
    drop shadows are possible in illustrator (Effect> Stylize> Drop Shadow,) but you may want to check with your printer about what type of printing they use to make the cards. They should be able to give you some guidance as to what their output capabilities are.

Good Luck!

5. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Also be sure to set the resolution of your raster effects to a large amount. 200-300 is fine for business cards [document raster effect settings]

Attached Files:

6. Angela

Angela Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Temecula, CA
    I am aware of the Effect>Stylize>Drop Shadow, it just seems as though the shadow is not smooth, it looks choppy on the screen. It is because of it's size? Too small?

Does the "Mode" I choose make that much of a difference? Because when I play around with that nothing seems to change if it's normal, multiply or what ever.

7. MikeD

MikeD Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Blend Modes, under the Appearance Panel's Opacity setting deal with how overlapping colors interact with each other; top down. You may want to look at transparency settings as well as the resolution settings Vector Dr pointed out. Sometimes having a drop shadow or any effect with transparency can turn out wrong if there is a spot color underneath. Without seeing your image it's tough to diagnose.

8. Angela

Angela Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Temecula, CA
    YES!!!! Thank you, thank you. It was the raster, duh. Thanks everybody!!!