• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Drop shadows

Angela

I am in Illy CS3 trying to do a drop shadow for a business card. Is this possible in illy? I am able to do drop shadows fine for large print but when it comes to business cards the drop shadows never seem to work. Any advice would be most appreciated.

MikeD

drop shadows are possible in illustrator (Effect> Stylize> Drop Shadow,) but you may want to check with your printer about what type of printing they use to make the cards. They should be able to give you some guidance as to what their output capabilities are.

Good Luck!

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Also be sure to set the resolution of your raster effects to a large amount. 200-300 is fine for business cards [document raster effect settings]

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-10-11 at 3.23.17 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-10-11 at 3.23.17 PM.png
    43 KB · Views: 84

Angela

I am aware of the Effect>Stylize>Drop Shadow, it just seems as though the shadow is not smooth, it looks choppy on the screen. It is because of it's size? Too small?

Does the "Mode" I choose make that much of a difference? Because when I play around with that nothing seems to change if it's normal, multiply or what ever.

MikeD

Blend Modes, under the Appearance Panel's Opacity setting deal with how overlapping colors interact with each other; top down. You may want to look at transparency settings as well as the resolution settings Vector Dr pointed out. Sometimes having a drop shadow or any effect with transparency can turn out wrong if there is a spot color underneath. Without seeing your image it's tough to diagnose.