• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DRY APPLY ONLY WITH REFLECTIVE Anyone know why?

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
I have always used the wet application method for aligning outlines and shadows. I have also used this method for reflective and have good luck. BUT it dose say on all reflective NOT to apply wet.
Have I just been lucky?
Does anyone know why you're not supposed to use water/ Rapid Tac? I have two vehicles for the Volunteer Fire Dept to do and don't want to have any issues.

garisimo

Dry apply.

As I understand it standard vinyl is a single permeable layer. You wet the substrate, apply the vinyl, and squeegee out the liquid. Most of the liquid squirts out; some remains (it's why a newly wet-mounted print can be removed without much trouble). What remains eventually gasses out through the permeable vinyl. Reflective is a different beast, made of multiple layers of 'stuff.' This sandwich is not permeable, so the residual moisture can get trapped, leading to a premature breakdown in the adhesive.

-g-

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
My understanding is that, because it is a lamination of several layers, liquids can get between layers and ultimately cause corrosion or mold.

Billct2

As was said, it's multiple layers and one of those layers is "metallic".
Rapid Tac claims to be safe for reflective, and there have been a few occaisions
where we had to use it. No negative results that I know of.

Andy D

Yeah, we had a newish installer that didn't know to apply reflective dry, the adhesive coagulated and caused
a ton of tiny bumps... Looks great when you first put down, but the next morning it looks pathetic.

visual800

I found out one day the Police Dept here was putting their decals on with windex....that is no lie I saw it firsthand when goingbto the city lot

S'N'S

I found out one day the Police Dept here was putting their decals on with windex....that is no lie I saw it firsthand when goingbto the city lot

I was at another signwriters place and he was applying vinyl with windex, when I said he shouldn't be using it. he asked "WHY? I've been doing it this way for years and years and never had a problem". He told me he even uses it on applying to windows.:omg:
I think there are some that don't have ammonia in it...

Zac

Mediocre Designer
I was at another signwriters place and he was applying vinyl with windex, when I said he shouldn't be using it. he asked "WHY? I've been doing it this way for years and years and never had a problem". He told me he even uses it on applying to windows.:omg:
I think there are some that don't have ammonia in it...

The ammonia is only part of the problem, it tends to leave behind a slippery film, especially on glass. Almost like a 'clear coat'. I have an installer who says he same thing "I've never had any problems" and he used to work at one of the worst reputation shops in town. Yeah...not here buddy.:noway:

Snydo

The ammonia is only part of the problem, it tends to leave behind a slippery film, especially on glass. Almost like a 'clear coat'. I have an installer who says he same thing "I've never had any problems" and he used to work at one of the worst reputation shops in town. Yeah...not here buddy.:noway:

That slippery film is likely citrus oil, much like the type used in many glue removers.

http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/us/en/brands/windex/windex-original-glass-cleaner