• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dry erase boards

klingsdesigns

I have a customer that is looking to get something on dry erase boards. Attached is a snip of the design.
The only thing I can figure out is printing on orajet 3165ra since I have it in stock and then apply wypet overlaminate to it?

Any other ideas or experience with the wypet?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 103

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Yep, that's how you do it. Print on vinyl, laminate with Dry Erase laminate. Mount on 3mm PVC, ACM, or other rigid substrate.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
They have 3ftx4ft dry erase boards they want me to mount this to.

I've done these in the past. Originally lettered them with cut vinyl but that was too time consuming. So just do prints with Dry Erase Lam now and apply straight to their boards. They don't know the difference.

300mphGraphics

We just use our standard laminate, either arlon 3420 Calendared or Avery 1320 Cast, depending on what's loaded up in the machine. I think any lam will work for dry erase, the key is to make sure the customer knows to use the "Low Odor" markers. All office stores carry the low odor, even our small town Walgreen's has them. Try it on a scrap piece, sure beats ordering a special roll of lam to have sitting around on the floor.

klingsdesigns

We just use our standard laminate, either arlon 3420 Calendared or Avery 1320 Cast, depending on what's loaded up in the machine. I think any lam will work for dry erase, the key is to make sure the customer knows to use the "Low Odor" markers. All office stores carry the low odor, even our small town Walgreen's has them. Try it on a scrap piece, sure beats ordering a special roll of lam to have sitting around on the floor.

Anyone else try using oraguard 210 for this ? It seems like its going to turn into a bigger job in the future so i dont really want to try something that wont work long term.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Anyone else try using oraguard 210 for this ? It seems like its going to turn into a bigger job in the future so i dont really want to try something that wont work long term.

It can work, but long term, I would recommend the correct material for the job. You gonna use 651 for a car wrap, just because you can? Or do you want to do it right?

300mphGraphics

We've used ours long term on several projects. Interesting thought, what is long term? The dry erase lam in the Feller's catalog has 1 year durability, the arlon has 5 year.

Real simple to try, grab a scrap from another job, use the correct marker, and see for yourself. Or spend the $$ and the space and the time, but the 651 to wrap vinyl is a bad analogy.

klingsdesigns

We've used ours long term on several projects. Interesting thought, what is long term? The dry erase lam in the Feller's catalog has 1 year durability, the arlon has 5 year.

Real simple to try, grab a scrap from another job, use the correct marker, and see for yourself. Or spend the $$ and the space and the time, but the 651 to wrap vinyl is a bad analogy.

I realized that when i typed it about long term and the one is 1 year. Only issue i found when researching on this was that people have stated that after a while the marker ink stains the laminate on regular lam.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I realized that when i typed it about long term and the one is 1 year. Only issue i found when researching on this was that people have stated that after a while the marker ink stains the laminate on regular lam.

It does and I know this from personal experience. A roll of dry erase lam is pretty cheap and I've had some that's been in use for 5+ years with no problems.

Bigdawg

Just Me

Yes. Yes we have. On the 210 if they leave the marker on too long it will NOT come off without shadowing. Not sure how long "too long" is, but I've had a couple complaints about this. Especially blue marker :(

Drip Dry

Everyone here has got you printing and with a big discussion on laminate.
It's a simple job for cut vinyl. It's not too time consuming.
They bought the dry erase board for a reason, and you want to not even use the feature of the board it was intended for.
If they are going to give you more in the future, why screw it up by not giving them what they expect.

Lay it out, cut it and put it down... easy

klingsdesigns

They bought the dry erase board for a reason, and you want to not even use the feature of the board it was intended for.
If they are going to give you more in the future, why screw it up by not giving them what they expect.

Each dry erase board is different and they all have different info and others have a lot of multiple colors and gradients otherwise i would just use cut vinyl.

gabagoo

Make your customer love you.... offer to put their logo somewhere on that chart so it is custom made for them..... if you already have their logo on file it costs you nothing, and I can guarantee you will make your contact a star with his superior.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja

I did this before I had the ability to use dry erase lam. It was a full grid that we used in our shop to keep track of jobs. So it's probably very similar to what is happening here. Even though it was just boxes, it WAS time consuming. It was a 4ft x 5ft board that allowed up to 40 jobs to be listed on it along with areas to mark off dates for proofs, production etc. Weeding was easy but again, time consuming. I can honestly say application was pretty simple and straight forward.

The main problem I had with the board was that over time and using erasers and chemicals to regularly clean the board, the vinyl started to wear off. Chunks would tear off. I used that board for probably two years with the original design and it was a sight for sore eyes at the end of two years. I later modified it to work more on a weekly schedule. We revamped out entire show room and ended up having to get rid of the board two years ago because it didn't fit any more. Did a print with dry erase lam and I wouldn't go back. If I wiped it down with alcohol right now, it would look brand new.