• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dry-erase conversion.

ratchet

I just got volunteered to help a local Air Cadet Squadron convert their existing chalk-board into a white-board.

The existing board uses a 4'X8' piece of 1/4" tempered glass as a substrate, with blackboard paint on it, and has very nice solid-wood frame; their current preference (although that may change) is to keep the existing board's frame and modify it to be dry-erase.

I see this going one of two ways, and was wondering if anyone had any opinions.

• Flip the tempered glass over and cover the un-painted side with a dry-erase vinyl. Does anyone know of a good dry-erase that I can use, or am I stuck with white cast/lam (Anyone know where to get Wypet in Canada?)

• Buy a 4'X8' piece of Porcelain coated whiteboard (Anyone know a good supplier in Canada?), and just replace the tempered glass section entirely with this.
Just a plain white-board... not going to be digitally printed or anything.

:thankyou:

The glass should work for dry erase markers without any further modification. Do they need a "white board" dry erase board? Just have them buy those fluorescent markers...

ratchet

@II Jake:
The board must be white, and they want to be able to use normal dry-erase markers on it.

@skdave: you have PM

@performancev: I thought of that, but was worried that with the lighting set-up in the room, some shadow would be created by the writing due to the 1/4" thickness of the glass; this would make it hard to read.

ericmitchell29

I created a 4x8 dry erase board just but putting Oracal 210 on a white board. ... Works great. I'm not sure why the need for special dry erase products... Sometimes people just want to sell you something common and label it as special. Just my Opinion.

signs2trade

Home Depot sell's 4x8 sheets of shower board. It has a masonite back. The front IS dry erase.....somewhere around 20 bucks.....

ratchet

Home Depot sell's 4x8 sheets of shower board. It has a masonite back. The front IS dry erase.....somewhere around 20 bucks.....

do I need to leave instructions to wax/coat the surface every so often to maintain it's dry erase properties?

J Hill Designs

I have found that showerboard does not work well as dry-erase...heavy staining happens - hexis sells a dry-erase vinyl, and many manuf. have a dry-erase lam...the hexis dry-erase vinyl works well

ratchet

I should also add that ND graphics only carries the 2mil PITA-to-install dry-erase overlaminate.

I'll see if I can get some from Hexis to test (thanks)

Last edited:

rainbowdigital

dry erase

Is 'dry-erase' lam simply cast gloss laminate?

Any thoughts? Would prefer not having to shell out for a roll of specialty 'dry-erase' lam if its simply cast lam with a different label on it.

Thanks!

Vinyl Blockout

Use a dry erase laminate film over a white calendered vinyl blockout with rapid air release (if you want ease of installation and not dismounting the board and frame).

If the texture/finish of the painted chalkboard is decent you might get away of not scraping it off.

If you dont do this often WJT sign supply sells a dry erase laminate by the yard so just get what you need.

bigben

Srape the chalk board paint off. Apply white vinyl that has a clear adhesive to back side of glass. Done.

I do tons of dry erase and magnetic board. I've done this before (1/4 tempered glass with white vinyl on the back). The customer really liked the 3D/shadow effect when he write on it.

reQ

I do tons of dry erase and magnetic board. I've done this before (1/4 tempered glass with white vinyl on the back). The customer really liked the 3D/shadow effect when he write on it.

1/4 tempered glass for dry-erase... price point is not so good, unless customer does not care. People now want good & cheap lol.

BTW. Gloss white dibond sheet, thats what i use as a dry-erase board... no vinyl or anything else, works very good.

reQ

Just tried to wipe down some text that was written on that dibond board almost 3 years ago lol. No problem at all and no ghosting left after.

CreatedDesigns

Last piece of 4'x8' 5/16" Tempered Glass I bought was $45. I did not think that was bad at all but then again I don't buy Glass all the time.

reQ

Last piece of 4'x8' 5/16" Tempered Glass I bought was $45. I did not think that was bad at all but then again I don't buy Glass all the time.

What? where did u buy 4x8 ft piece of tempered glass, which is 3/8 for 45 dollars???????

CreatedDesigns

What? where did u buy 4x8 ft piece of tempered glass, which is 3/8 for 45 dollars???????

Hmm ya got me! So it was 1/4" thick 48x96" tempered glass total was $75.33.
I will post picture of receipt to satisfy you in your quest to prove otherwise.

on another note where did you come up with 3/8" min thickness for tempered glass? never heard such a thing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 307