• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Drying issueson one side

jayhawksigns

Just noticed that we are having some drying issues on some heavily saturated colors, but only on one side of the prints. So much so that there was actually ink transfer from the front of the vinyl to the carrier sheet. It seems that the left side of the printer (when looking at it from the front) is running cooler or something. Printing on 54" IJ35c with the included Flexi profile, 55/115 on the heat settings.

And thinking about it, we ran a banner over the weekend that I had to "re-cure" that had a problem with full black text on one side of the banner not being dry, but feeling fine on the other, and it was off of the same side as well. Didn't know if I should just push the heat up more, or if I need to have the printer looked at?

Thanks.

jayhawksigns

That has been my first thought but we have yet to get one. Figure that will be something that will be asked if we contact tech support, may be going out to get one today.

Just noticed that we are having some drying issues on some heavily saturated colors, but only on one side of the prints. So much so that there was actually ink transfer from the front of the vinyl to the carrier sheet. It seems that the left side of the printer (when looking at it from the front) is running cooler or something. Printing on 54" IJ35c with the included Flexi profile, 55/115 on the heat settings.

And thinking about it, we ran a banner over the weekend that I had to "re-cure" that had a problem with full black text on one side of the banner not being dry, but feeling fine on the other, and it was off of the same side as well. Didn't know if I should just push the heat up more, or if I need to have the printer looked at?

Thanks.

From what I understand the heater for drying is located on the right hand side of the printer and just heats up the whole unit. We have the same problem with 4 color blacks. We got around the problem by printing just a single color black. I still have the same issue with 3M 3430 EGP when I print handicap signs. I can't turn up the dryer anymore because the material shrinks and looks like crap. So I end up air drying for a day or so. If I need them immediately I tend to use our very hi-tech heat gun. I hear the newer version of the printer might have a heater on both sides. If I could personally recommend this to HP I would.

moggle

Fairly common issue, as already mentioned the heating power is strongest on the right hand side.

Work around some people use is to partially block the fans with some masking tape on the affected side

I haven't heard of the masking tape. Might give that a try. Also, My minimum drying power is default set at 1.2 but when I do long runs it seems my printer throws a error which is directly connected to the minimum drying power. Turn the MDP down and there are no problems. So be careful with the minimum drying power.

Fairly common issue, as already mentioned the heating power is strongest on the right hand side.

Work around some people use is to partially block the fans with some masking tape on the affected side

I haven't heard of the masking tape. Might give that a try. Also, My minimum drying power is default set at 1.2 but when I do long runs it seems my printer throws a error which is directly connected to the minimum drying power. Turn the MDP down and there are no problems. So be careful with the minimum drying power.

I was printing some signs out today on 3M 3430 and I noticed the black wasn't drying on the left side. So I remembered what you said about the tape. Instead i put a rag over the last two fans to the left. As soon as it advanced maybe 2" everything was dry. Really quick easy fix. Thanks alot.:U Rock: