• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DTF Decals

jimbug72

A guy in the shop just approached me about these DTF stickers and I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this type of product and what opinions you may have.

Last edited:

unclebun

I have used DTF for garments. It is superior to print-cut heat press film for sure, and so far (we've been using it a year or so) it is superior to both screenprinted transfers and also actual screenprinting. The detail and color and clarity of the printing is as good as a wide format inkjet printer but there's no need to be able to cut and weed the design, there's no need for transfer film or tape. The heat pressing is less tricky and finicky than screenprinted transfers and the durability better than screenprnted transfers or direct screenprinting. The only downside compared to screenprinting would be cost on large quantity runs.

jimbug72

I have used DTF for garments. It is superior to print-cut heat press film for sure, and so far (we've been using it a year or so) it is superior to both screenprinted transfers and also actual screenprinting. The detail and color and clarity of the printing is as good as a wide format inkjet printer but there's no need to be able to cut and weed the design, there's no need for transfer film or tape. The heat pressing is less tricky and finicky than screenprinted transfers and the durability better than screenprnted transfers or direct screenprinting. The only downside compared to screenprinting would be cost on large quantity runs.
Yes, we have a local source for DTF for garments that we use regularly. The example in the link are (I'm assuming) adhesive backed decals that are supposedly indoor/outdoor/dishwasher safe. Same principal in terms of detail/clarity as heatpress but in decal form.

Last edited:

Stacey K

I like making signs
I don't but I'm following this as I would be interested as well. I too use the DTF apparel transfers and agree with Unclebun on everything.

unclebun

They're not really stickers in the way we think of stickers. The adhesive is a similar (or maybe the same) heat press adhesive that the garment DTF uses. So you have to heat press the sticker onto the coffee mug or whatever else you want to put it on.

Stacey K

I like making signs
They're not really stickers in the way we think of stickers. The adhesive is a similar (or maybe the same) heat press adhesive that the garment DTF uses. So you have to heat press the sticker onto the coffee mug or whatever else you want to put it on.
Ohhh, OK. That's interesting, I'll have to look at that a bit closer. Perhaps it's something I could use in the future!

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
This is UV DTF, it is not the same thing as the DTF used for apparel. The naming is a little confusing.

There are two sheets of material for UV DTF, an A Sheet and a B Sheet. The A sheet has the permanent adhesive on it. You print with a UV printer onto the A sheet and apply the B sheet with a laminator or a squeegee if the graphic is small enough. The ink and permanent adhesive from the A sheet is transferred to the B sheet when you peel them apart. Finally you apply the graphic onto the substrate by using pressure, not heat.

Mutoh has a YouTube video of the process.

We are about to place an order for some of these printers from one of our suppliers. The printer will print onto the A sheet and apply the B sheet as it is printing so you have ready to use graphics.

jimbug72

Nope, per their Printing Services Brochure: "Step 5: You stick it with your hand, Step 6: Product is ready"

Attachments

• DTF Stickers.jpg
    DTF Stickers.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 82

Superior_Adam

UV DTF is not the same as DTF for garments. UVDTF is printed using a UV printer then the adhesive is applied. I have done quite a few of these using an A+B film and it works great, a clear coat is printed on top for protection. I have applied them to YETIO tumblers and have lasted a long time. As with anything printed hand washing of the items is needed as they are not dishwasher safe.

Superior_Adam

They are pressure applied "stickers"

jochwat

Graphics Department

Unclebun, what vendor do you use for your DTF garment transfers?

jimbug72

UV DTF is not the same as DTF for garments. UVDTF is printed using a UV printer then the adhesive is applied. I have done quite a few of these using an A+B film and it works great, a clear coat is printed on top for protection. I have applied them to YETIO tumblers and have lasted a long time. As with anything printed hand washing of the items is needed as they are not dishwasher safe.
Longevity I suppose is what I am most curious about. This is pulled directly from their brochure:
"Our UV-DTF Dura-Stickers are printed using UV inks, resulting in vibrant colors. A high-gloss epoxy lacquer layer is then applied, creating a beautiful embossed effect. They are exceptionally durable and resistant, suitable for both indoor and outdoor use; and also anti-scratch and dishwasher safe. With a strong and permanent adhesive, they are built to last for years."

Eforcer

A guy in the shop just approached me about these DTF stickers and I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this type of product and what opinions you may have.

I do my own DTF inhouse, but tried UV DTF from a vendor. Turn around sucked, but the final product was AWESOME!

unclebun

I guess I have seen instructional videos about putting the heat press DTF onto mugs and figured that's what you were talking about. This is obviously a different technology. I wonder about the longevity of the adhesive to the mug. It wouldn't be difficult to improve on vinyl lettering on a Yeti mug, but on ceramic coffee mugs I wonder how well it will do with repeated use and dishwashers. And how thick is the "sticker"?