• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dual Monitor Help

rcook99

I just set up my LG2350V this morning and I must say the color difference compared to my Dell is awsome. My video card is the NVIDIA 8300GS with a DVI and DSUB port. It shows the option to run 2 monitors but will only let me run them in a clone setup not as individuals. It shows the option to select the first but the second choice is grayed out and won't allow me to choose.

My question is will this support two monitors as individuals or do I need to upgrade my video card? If I need to upgrade my video card suggestions are welcome. Thanks for the help!

One other question is that I noticed my old monitor moves up or down as if the picture is being displayed larger than the monitor itself. The toolbar slides down as if it is below the edge of the monitor and no it is not set up that way. It started doing this when I try to run the monitors in clone mode.

WildWestDesigns

There have been some known issues about dual monitor setup if your monitors are vastly different in resolutions. That can cause some quirks.

The mere fact that you are able to run even a clone of your desktop shows that there is some support for dual monitors on that video card.

If you are wanting to upgrade your video card I would suggest the Sapphire HD5970. It's what I use. Dual GPU and it supports 3 monitors(which I'll be getting that 3rd one shortly, just have to wait after getting "broke" due to Christmas) with 2 DVIs and 1 mini display port.

rcook99

If you are wanting to upgrade your video card I would suggest the Sapphire HD5970. It's what I use. Dual GPU and it supports 3 monitors(which I'll be getting that 3rd one shortly, just have to wait after getting "broke" due to Christmas) with 2 DVIs and 1 mini display port.

Ok I justed picked myself up off the floor after looking at the:omg: Saphire card. I appreciate:thumb: your help but that is much more than I am looking to spend. I would like to be around $100-$200 I should have mentioned that.

I will say that I know see what all the talk is about buying a quality monitor for correct colors. I can't wait for my Dell 22" to die as I don't even want to look at it as the colors are terrible. :ROFLMAO:

I never new the forum backround was a nice blue vs the teal on my old monitor.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

WildWestDesigns

Ok I justed picked myself up off the floor after looking at the:omg: Saphire card. I appreciate:thumb: your help but that is much more than I am looking to spend. I would like to be around $100-$200 I should have mentioned that.

I know what you're talking about. I got a killer deal on it and I couldn't pass it up.

I will say that I know see what all the talk is about buying a quality monitor for correct colors. I can't wait for my Dell 22" to die as I don't even want to look at it as the colors are terrible. :ROFLMAO:

I never new the forum backround was a nice blue vs the teal on my old monitor.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This is true. I'm willing to bet that there is a resolution issue going on while trying to run the dual setup which explains why the issues even in clone mode and it maybe why the other options are grayed out. You can go different sizes, but as long as the resolution is close together you should be alright. Now I do believe this is more of an issue with Windows 7 and one that I had to deal with on my mom's computer trying to get her Cintiq to work in conjunction with her Samsung monitor. My dad runs 2 18" HPs, I run 1 28" Hannspree and 1 26" Insignia. The ole ball and chain just has multiple computers.

TresL

I just went from 2 19"s monitors to 1 19" & 1 28".

I use the video card program, not the windows setup.

rcook99

I just went from 2 19"s monitors to 1 19" & 1 28".

I use the video card program, not the windows setup.

Yes I also went right to the NVIDIA control panel.

Keep in mind when suggesting a new video card that I am in the process of buying parts for a new AMD X4 or X6 system with and ASUS Board (Maybe the 880g or 890FX not sure at this point)

Letterbox Mike

I just got an nVidea Geforce 9800gt for about $170, and I'm running a 30" and a 20" side-by-side (2560x1600 and 1200x1600 resolutions) on it with no problems at all... If you're looking to get a card this one seems great for the money and obviously works.

tanneji

I have a nvidia GTX 260 in my work computer (great card) and an ATI Radeon 5550 in my home computer. The GTX is way more powerful than you would need but comes in handy for vehicle wraps and the 5550 seems just about right as it doesnt require a larger power supply like the GTX does. I design large photoshop files etc on the 5550 without issue and got it for around 50 bucks. Would have been nice to get the 5670 but oh well :)

signswi

Anyone running multiple monitors on Windows should check out Ultramon http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

Also if you're in the graphics business and don't have calibrated monitors, shame on you. It's only a couple hundred bucks for a Spyder. Of course that only goes so far if you cheap out and get an LCD that doesn't do true 8bit or has a compressed or blown out gamut...

WildWestDesigns

Anyone running multiple monitors on Windows should check out Ultramon http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

Also if you're in the graphics business and don't have calibrated monitors, shame on you. It's only a couple hundred bucks for a Spyder. Of course that only goes so far if you cheap out and get an LCD that doesn't do true 8bit or has a compressed or blown out gamut...

That's what my mom uses and she really isn't in the graphics business. She mainly does it as a hobby, but she is really good at photoshop painting.

rcook99

Ok thanks for the help everyone! Eric I checked out that link you posted and my problem was I needed to restart my computer to get the video card to recognize the other monitor. We are all set, but I will be upgrading my video card very soon.