• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dual Monitor Questions

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Was having an overheating problem last week and took my workstation to a local guy that was recommended. It turned out to be the fan on my video card, so we replaced the video card. While there I noticed his workstation used dual monitors and he demonstrated it. He then informed me that the card I had purchased would also support it so i got a second monitor and, voila, I wonder why I waited so long.

It is truly neat, the best thing since sliced bread, and much easier than I expected it to be. But i have a couple of detail questions for anyone more familiar with it than I am at this point.

1. Is there some way to control on which screen a dialog box will appear. For example, I currently have my email client open on monitor #2 (on the right) and when I print an email the dialog box appears almost totally on the left side of monitor #1. I figured if I moved it over to #2, then the next time the new position would be remembered. It was not. So am I doomed to premature carpel tunnel syndrome if I continue to print emails or is a solution at hand that I haven't stumbled across?

2. I am making some tutorials for one of my websites that involve screen captures. I understand that Alt + Print Screen will copy the active window to the clipboard. But if I don't use that my screen capture is for both monitors. There are situations where I may want to capture multiple windows in one capture on one monitor and would prefer not to have to crop the other monitor out. Is there some other keyboard command to capture just the contents of the screen of one of the two monitors?

PMG

Fred i run 2 dual cards on mine, i run 2 dual G force cards and in the card software mine has all the options to open windows on a default monitor and or any of the other 3 ,so if i want a program to open on monitor 2 i make that program open up on it and make sure you check the box for Move to Application display on the dialog box and also open window on last display.......does your card have software? as far as question 2 not sure

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 93

Scott_AN

Ive been using dual monitors for a long time, most of the programs/dialog boxes will open on the screen it was last used on, some simply will not. Easiest thing is just keep putting it there hoping it remembers.

There is a program called andy snap, http://download.cnet.com/AndySnap/3000-2094_4-10519018.html
it lets you pick what section of which montior to screen cap. i dont know how well it works, i usually just hit print screen, and crop out what i dont need.

SignManiac

Hehe Fred....Wait til you do a threesome. Your life will become so much more fun!

Move your apps to the screen you want and it will stay there each time you boot up.

Forgot to add. Your keyboard print screen will capture all three monitors at once. I use SnagIt to capture specific regions on any one of the three monitors.

Attachments

• threemonitor.JPG
    threemonitor.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 102

Checkers

Hiya Fred,
If you're using Outlook, you should just be able to open a new email window, size and move it to where you want it to reappear, then close it. The next time you start a new email it should appear in that position - well, it does with Outlook 2003.
With Corel's Capture software, you have several different screen capture options to choose from.

Checkers

P

ProWraps™

at one time i had 6 19" crts at once! this was in my home office. the room got so warm i couldnt even stay in there very long (can you say make beef jerky?). back down to two 22" widescreens.

you will get the hang of it fred. its a bit cumbersome at first, but its a dream when you get it all squared away.

Sabre

Yeah, I've ran duallies for a very long time. I'd be lost without Ultramon too, though. The taskbar mod alone makes it extremely worthwhile.